It followed me home

GA Firing Line

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Not sure how it happened. I was just standing at the counter looking at 1911s when suddenly I found I was filling out paperwork and then this Springfield Range Officer was riding home with me...

Last week I was shooting my son-in-law's Rock Island 1911 and liked it. Now this.

Help. :eek:

IMG_0568s_zpsd8bbc9c9.jpg

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Everyone needs a 1911. Very nice looking 45. Looking forward to your range report.
I really enjoyed by 70 series COLT.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

M

mukwah

Re: Re: It followed me home

RICHGCOOP said:
I never met a gun if I didn't like. LOL
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY GUNS.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk
+ 1...AGREED!!!

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Great grab there redmond. The only problem is that they are addictive. My wife collects LCP's and I do 1911's. Her problem is less expensive than mine. Enjoy, and let us know how your trip to the range goes.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Looking forward to it! This weekend for sure. Took it apart and cleaned out the shipping goo, lightly lubed, and it is ready to go.

I shot my dad's WWII Colt 1911 quite a bit when I was 12-13, but then he traded it for a rifle and I didn't shoot a 1911 untill last week when my son-in-law and I went to the range with his. Caught the bug. I told my daughter that I was blaming the SIL - she giggled and said "Yeah, right. Like you needed any encouragement." Always so supportive.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
OK, I couldn't wait until the weekend so I took a couple hours off work this afternoon.

This is a very sweet shooting 1911. Sent 100 rounds of 230 grain FMJ downrange at 10 yards, off hand (yeah, I know, 10 yards - I'm a wimp). No problems at all.

The very first round was dead center in the bull (no lie - really). The others were mostly grouped in about a 3" ragged hole slightly low and left (about 1/2" low, 1" left of center). Yes, there were 6-7 fliers that were my fault, but all in a 6" circle. It has adjustable sights, but I want to get a bunch more experience with it before I start messing around with the adjustment. Practicing with the MK III 22/45 should help with the fliers.

Felt recoil was a bit less than my 9mm XD, much less than the LCP (at least in snappiness) and no finger sting! The 'boom' was significantly bigger than the 9mm. Gotta say, this is a keeper and will likely be my favorite centerfire range gun.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
redmond said:
The very first round was dead center in the bull (no lie - really).

That reminds me of a story told many years ago by my grandmother and verified by my grandfather.

My grandfather was a naval officer (later retired as a Rear Admiral) who was teaching at the Naval Academy sometime between WW1 and WWII. My grandfather (the gun enthusiast who passed on his enthusiasm to me) took my grandmother to the Academy's pistol range where the cadets were being trained to shoot the 1911 pistol. Someone offered to let my grandmother (who was NOT a gun enthusiast) shoot one to try it. After a little goading, she picked one up, aimed it at the target, and touched off a round. There was a hole in the middle of the bullseye as a result. She then put the pistol down and told the cadets around her "That's how it should be done, fellas.". She never fired another shot in her life to the best of my knowledge.

M

mukwah

Fellas, I'm really sick! I think I'm coming down with 1911 fever!!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Thanks for the report. I really like Springfields and I have been guilty of caressing an EMP lately, but I am trying to avoid any further contact. Great looking gun you got there.