Is lock picking a skill worth learning?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I would say it could have some perks. But in a shtf scenario I could care less about a lock. If I want in I will find a way. Unless your just trying to be sneaky and leave no trail of you being there. But if you have the time and the patience I would say go for it. Never hurts to learn as much as you can.

Reactions: SafeCracka

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Dixie (and Powder Springs)
Zip code

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
This is what I like to carry.

47aaa59790ca2b9b55c320533f33f8f8.jpg

d80d74f4aec828bd6a4ebfd29840a7ab.jpg

I bought it from www.southord.com from their blemish section for about $30~ It has all of the basics in one small package.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Definitely worth learning. Frankly, I have used just one pick profile to open almost everything I've run across that needed to be opened. I've opened the door locks on my truck (which was a pain in the ass compared to the house dead bolts). I've unlocked an old Master padlock at Mom's house that no one had a key to. And I took the locking gas cap off Granddad's truck after he passed away. Apparently no one knew where he kept the key to the gas cap. But it came off in less than a minute of probing the lock cylinder.

I have a set of individual picks, but I really like the "pocket knife" style fold out that @jwtug posted above- separate tension wrench and it keeps all the picks together and in a case where they won't get broken.

The picks I have are apparently full hard 301 stainless or something similar- they'll snap if you bend them very much at all. They are not Southord though. And I've had zero training by a pro, so there's another problem.

Reactions: freedom

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
Definitely worth learning. Frankly, I have used just one pick profile to open almost everything I've run across that needed to be opened. I've opened the door locks on my truck (which was a pain in the ass compared to the house dead bolts). I've unlocked an old Master padlock at Mom's house that no one had a key to. And I took the locking gas cap off Granddad's truck after he passed away. Apparently no one knew where he kept the key to the gas cap. But it came off in less than a minute of probing the lock cylinder.

I have a set of individual picks, but I really like the "pocket knife" style fold out that @jwtug posted above- separate tension wrench and it keeps all the picks together and in a case where they won't get broken.

The picks I have are apparently full hard 301 stainless or something similar- they'll snap if you bend them very much at all. They are not Southord though. And I've had zero training by a pro, so there's another problem.
That set I have is called the "Jack knife" it holds the picks and tension tool all together and very secure in the folded position.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
That set I have is called the "Jack knife" it holds the picks and tension tool all together and very secure in the folded position.

I like it- going to have to find one of those. A small set of picks will open most of needs to be opened. Again, I don't have any real training, but I've found that the pointed pick and the one with the upward bend are all I need so far.

An air jack is on my list of things to buy also- wife locked her keys in her car recently and I got to watch a locksmith work and ask a few questions while he got the door open. That little air jack was amazing- pried the car door open enough to get a rod in and hit the unlock button. Obviously I won't just go around opening car doors, but I don't mind helping someone out in a parking lot. Or opening my wife's car next time. I paid the locksmith about $40 and the air jack costs about $30. All about having the right tool when it's needed.

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
5cd381fca7ed892e625ed18eeb5b3d8d.jpg

One more pic in the stored/folded position. Very nice little set up. Y'all would be surprised how easy it is. Most master lock pad locks can be opened in a matter of seconds.

Remember one thing... VERY LIGHT PRESSURE ON THE TENSION TOOL.
This is SO important.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I would just buy the pocket set like @jwtug posted and play with some locks at the house.

That is basically how I got started. It's a great feeling when the first one just slides open... And then you go around you house buying better locks than those damn Kwik Set locks- those things are no better than a hook on a screen door.

Reactions: Cudruln and jwtug

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Zip code
I like it- going to have to find one of those. A small set of picks will open most of needs to be opened. Again, I don't have any real training, but I've found that the pointed pick and the one with the upward bend are all I need so far.

An air jack is on my list of things to buy also- wife locked her keys in her car recently and I got to watch a locksmith work and ask a few questions while he got the door open. That little air jack was amazing- pried the car door open enough to get a rod in and hit the unlock button. Obviously I won't just go around opening car doors, but I don't mind helping someone out in a parking lot. Or opening my wife's car next time. I paid the locksmith about $40 and the air jack costs about $30. All about having the right tool when it's needed.
Be careful "helping folks out" you have no way to prove that that's their car. I'd only help someone I knew.

LXHunter

Frontiersman
Jun 24, 2015
Zip code
I would definitely learn lock picking. I am not the greatest or fastest but I can usually always get in.