Is anyone passing up new toys because of the ammo shortage?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
I

iacountryboy

From what I've seen some of you are still addin to your collections.
I just can't pass up what I believe is a good deal. I'm gettin a nice little collection of a few .22 rifles and a couple pistols and revolvers. Whats driving me crazy is not being able to take them to the range for more than a few shots at a time. Yes, I know I could spend the extra cash and get some mail order stuff but that will get real cashy real fast between me my son and two grandkids. Hopefully things will get better soon.
In the meantime I'm still hittin the auctions and keepin my eyes open for the good deals. :D

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
In the last 3 weeks I obtained a Romanian "G" series AKM 7.62x39 and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm w/glock mags. I would say still getting toys just not shooting them as much as I would like to.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I am not about to pass up a good deal on a firearm just because of the ammo shortage.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I've cooled my jets on powder burners for a while, but have picked up some spring and CO2 Airsoft handguns.

The upside is my backyard became my range... OK, 6mm plastic pellets are everywhere now, but with blowback capability on the Sig, I may be getting higher quality practice and training time than I did at the range.

Try to rapid-fire hit a plastic bottle suspended 10 feet and swinging on a string. I can now anticipate and hit 10 of 15 rounds in a mag fairly consistently... at 7 to 10 yards.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am completely done buying guns for the year! I was about at max budget when I bought a Mini 14 and a LC9 about 2 or 3 weeks apart. Of course I had to buy a bunch of ammo for the Mini after I got it. My gun budget is shot.

I just hope Ruger doesn't release a SR45c or I am in big trouble. :eek:

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Keep looking for the ammunition. I ran into a box of 500 rounds of 22LR at sportsman's Ware House the first I've seen since April of this year. So they're producing them again which is a good sign. Prior to this all I've seen in the last couple of months has been boxes of 50 rounds.

I learned my lesson back in 2009, during the last drought. I bought some old GI Joe Ammo boxes and started stocking up. In November a couple of the stores were having sales on ammunition and seeing how the election was going, just in case, I boosted my levels. Which turned out to be an appropriate move.

A few months back I was running through 400 plus rounds of 22LR, a week. Which is nothing compared to some other folks I know. I think this ammunition shortage is going to clear up here in a few months. So we shall just have to hang in there.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I have not even shot a powder burner in many months. Have not even shot my Ruger SR 22 after receiving it back from repair months ago. Cleaned them all up and put them in storage. I have purchased a number of new air pistols and have shot them intensively over the summer. I do buy reloading supplies when I see a sale, or should I say availability. When 22.cal. 325rds of cheap target ammo sells for $60.00 , it is time to get to get sensible and just forget it. Now that fall has arrived, I am shooting my collection of German/English Springer air rifles. I shoot in my back yard, hunt with them and a number of friends meet over at a buddies house who has a deck over looking a really nice range that he set up and do some friendly competition. I got him hooked on air Rifles about a year ago, and now he is a fanatic.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I haven't found a range I like yet since moving to Colorado. I still have a residence in Kentucky for 6 more months (which is nice when I need to buy some firearm "accessories"). I spend some time there but my guns are in Colorado. I've bought one new gun since the recent silliness began but it was less then $400 so it wasn't exactly a bank breaker. I haven't been shooting much though. I buy ammo when I see what passes for a deal these days and I currently shoot less then I buy.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Dang, I came close to buying a Sig 238 today. I had gone to visit my local gun shop, and they had about 5 at a good price. I have always wanted one, but the price is steep. I almost pulled the trigger. Then reality set in. NO AMMO. If I purchase a new gun, I want to shoot it a lot. My guns are stored now and I do not shoot anymore. I have been reloading and shooting my air pistols and just do not want to get into the groove of spending a fortune of ammo when they do have it. I guess I will just have to wait. Life is good, but sometimes it sucks. :'(

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I did pull the trigger on a Ruger 1911 commander about a month ago . I wanted one every since they came out in 2011. I picked up the command for 669.

DROID3 - Tap talk

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
RICHGCOOP said:
I did pull the trigger on a Ruger 1911 commander about a month ago . I wanted one every since they came out in 2011. I picked up the command for 669.

DROID3 - Tap talk

Good Job Rich! I want one also! Especially since I am a loyal fan. Going to a gun show this weekend, Probably should leave my wallet in the car.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RICHGCOOP said:

DROID3 - Tap talk
Good catch.

D

Denny4kids

Cliff, a local gun store owner told me that only lazy gun store owners have no ammo for their customers. Cliff has always had ammo! 22 ammo prices went up a little but has now gone down. Cliff told me he works hard and see's no reason why gun stores run out of ammo. I told him about all the trouble you all are having and he just laughs and says "lazy store owners"
If Cliff is out of something it is usually less than a week and he will call you when it comes in. I think its a joke you all put up with your gun store's laziness and believe their BS. Whatever ammo shortage you all had is over. Maybe your gun store owners haven't figured that out yet. Mine just worked a little harder and never accepted defeat and as a result his customers were never let down. Denny

I

iacountryboy

not the best time but I'll be makin the rounds to search for ammo in the mornin. Got an auction to go to sunday. The got an older Mossberg 500 I'd like to get to put a nice little home defence makeover onto it. Should sell pretty low. Gotta love those farm sales. Might even find a little ammo there. :D

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Denny4kids said:
Cliff, a local gun store owner told me that only lazy gun store owners have no ammo for their customers. Cliff has always had ammo! 22 ammo prices went up a little but has now gone down. Cliff told me he works hard and see's no reason why gun stores run out of ammo. I told him about all the trouble you all are having and he just laughs and says "lazy store owners"
If Cliff is out of something it is usually less than a week and he will call you when it comes in. I think its a joke you all put up with your gun store's laziness and believe their BS. Whatever ammo shortage you all had is over. Maybe your gun store owners haven't figured that out yet. Mine just worked a little harder and never accepted defeat and as a result his customers were never let down. Denny

Or maybe they are letting it trickle back in to keep demand and prices ridiculously high!

DLL66

Scout
Oct 29, 2013
White House, TN
I just traded my Taurus TCP738 for a Sig Sauer P238 last Friday. In my area, I noticed that ammo is now stocked in a lot of gun shops. There is still a limit on how much you can buy, but the shelves are not bare like they were during the spring. I'm still buying and shooting.