Is a 9mm upper worth the money?

GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
For no real reason? There is a HUGE, REAL reason; the ability to punch body armor and penetrate intermediate barriers. A gun that is quiet and comfortable to shoot, but won’t put an armored foe down, is not what I want to use. And, like I said, running a 5” 5.56 would be asinine.

Everything is a trade-off. I require an amount of penetration that a pistol round won’t give me. In order to get that, I have to put up with noise.....or slap a can on it.

Ive been both up and down range, indoors and outdoors, while 5.56 and 7.62x39mm rounds were fired. Big difference when you swap ends of the range.

I never meant it to sound like I said I preferred a loud gun because it’s louder to the bad guy. I didn’t say that and didn’t mean it. I just threw it out there as an ancillary fact.
No no no, I said there is no real reason to want to shoot fireballs and deafen everyone nearby. My comment was not caliber related, but rather about barrel length. I was saying that going super short on a 223/556 barrel is retarded. I 1000000% agree with a rifle caliber over a pistol caliber.

Reactions: cmshoot and Axeman

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
No no no, I said there is no real reason to want to shoot fireballs and deafen everyone nearby. My comment was not caliber related, but rather about barrel length. I was saying that going super short on a 223/556 barrel is retarded. I 1000000% agree with a rifle caliber over a pistol caliber.

Gotcha!

Reactions: Axeman and Leshaire

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
To me the question is what’s the intended use to decide the tool. I think both have a place in the tool box. I like the rifle to reach out if it’s necessary. I went with 11.5” 556 pistol for that reason. Now suppressed it’s not bad on the ear outdoors I think that changes in a room but it’s definitely better suppressed. So I recommend a can on a 10.5”.
The PCC 9mm is a lot of fun to shoot and cheaper than 556. I sold my AR9. I couldn’t keep it fed. Great to have for carbine competitions if that’s your plan and quieter suppressed indoors for home defense and still lethal unless marauders with ballistic plates enter your house. If that’s the case you have bigger problems to worry bout.
The fact is I have a 11.5” pistol in a rifle cartridge that I can carry with me and no worry of paperwork if I decide to go across state lines.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
To me the question is what’s the intended use to decide the tool. I think both have a place in the tool box. I like the rifle to reach out if it’s necessary. I went with 11.5” 556 pistol for that reason. Now suppressed it’s not bad on the ear outdoors I think that changes in a room but it’s definitely better suppressed. So I recommend a can on a 10.5”.
The PCC 9mm is a lot of fun to shoot and cheaper than 556. I sold my AR9. I couldn’t keep it fed. Great to have for carbine competitions if that’s your plan and quieter suppressed indoors for home defense and still lethal unless marauders with ballistic plates enter your house. If that’s the case you have bigger problems to worry bout.
The fact is I have a 11.5” pistol in a rifle cartridge that I can carry with me and no worry of paperwork if I decide to go across state lines.
Precisely why I built my 10.5” 5.56. It would have been 11.5” but I just couldn’t wait another 8 weeks for a Scionics Barrel.

What do you mean by “couldn’t keep the AR9 fed”?
And if you have a PCC 9mm, is that a 16”?

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Precisely why I built my 10.5” 5.56. It would have been 11.5” but I just couldn’t wait another 8 weeks for a Scionics Barrel.

What do you mean by “couldn’t keep the AR9 fed”?
And if you have a PCC 9mm, is that a 16”?

I understand patience is something I’m learning as well. The PCC pistol caliber carbine I don’t think requires a specific barrel length so it can be pistol rifle or SBR just that it shoots 9mm 357 40 45 or 10mm. The pistol I had would eat lead like crazy. I would have gone broke trying to supply that hunger it had for either 115 124 or 147gr. It liked them all too much. A blast to shoot.

Reactions: Axeman

LouHill

Hunter
Dec 5, 2015
powder springs ga 30127
Well , I shoot a good bit of 9mm. I have multiple platforms , multiple barrel lengths , including integral suppressed . It’s economical to shoot. The big reason ? My wife LOVES to shoot my 9mm SBR’s ! Which means I can fib a bit when I buy stuff !

Reactions: cmshoot and Axeman

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Well , I shoot a good bit of 9mm. I have multiple platforms , multiple barrel lengths , including integral suppressed . It’s economical to shoot. The big reason ? My wife LOVES to shoot my 9mm SBR’s ! Which means I can fib a bit when I buy stuff !
So, given that the 9mm IS cheaper to shoot, if I can find a cheap upper from one of the discount sellers and spend @$200 or so, then it’s a good investment. Right?

Reactions: LouHill

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Actually I was thinking about selling my 9mm setup the other day. Upper, Hahn magblock, and 6 mags.

The barrel is 4.5" and the rail is 10 giving it a sweet sungun look with the can.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So, given that the 9mm IS cheaper to shoot, if I can find a cheap upper from one of the discount sellers and spend @$200 or so, then it’s a good investment. Right?
I don’t think it’ll be an investment, but if you like to shoot it it should be a fun expense.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I don’t think it’ll be an investment, but if you like to shoot it it should be a fun expense.
Depends. My 22lr AR was an investment imo because I was shooting 100 rounds of 223/556 every Sunday night at US Arms. My total cost per night went down from ~$50 to ~$24, so that gun will pay for itself in 24 weeks of shooting, and be saving me money after that.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Depends. My 22lr AR was an investment imo because I was shooting 100 rounds of 223/556 every Sunday night at US Arms. My total cost per night went down from ~$50 to ~$24, so that gun will pay for itself in 24 weeks of shooting, and be saving me money after that.
That's still an expense, not a return. You're just losing less, not making anything.

LouHill

Hunter
Dec 5, 2015
powder springs ga 30127
Place in Woodstock is selling internals for AR mags for 9mm uppers with an AR lower Getting great reviews over on the ODT ! Mean Arms , they call it Endo mags. Seems to be the tits . I suck at linking . But easy to find

Reactions: BangBang

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Place in Woodstock is selling internals for AR mags for 9mm uppers with an AR lower Getting great reviews over on the ODT ! Mean Arms , they call it Endo mags. Seems to be the tits . I suck at linking . But easy to find

A lot of here have already bought a few. I have 3, and I’m looking for a good 9mm upper.

Last edited: