Is a 9mm upper worth the money?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Why would anyone run a 5” 5.56? A 10” would make much more sense, and the added length won’t make any difference in CQB.

Sound and flash works both ways, and the majority of both are going AWAY from the shooter, TOWARDS the target, so it’s added shit the threat has to deal with.

Under extreme stress, very little of the noise and flash will be noticed by the shooter to an extent that it will adversely affect them at the time.

Either will work just fine, with the right ammo in each. I wouldn’t feel poorly armed either way for HD. For use outside of the home, a carbine caliber beats a handgun caliber, hands down. Range and penetration.

I can’t agree here. I don’t understand why it’d ever be ok to anyone dealing with that amount of sound and flash just because the bad guy does too. Seems dumb to affect yourself negatively for no real reason. A 5” barrel with 223/556 shoots insane fireballs and will defean tf out of you instantly. Even at 10”, 223/556 is miserable. My 11.5” that you saw me run last time I shot with you is even far from ideal without my can. I’ve shot all of about 3 bullets non suppressed and refuse to do so anymore because of the sound alone.

Sent from my Obamaphone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cmshoot

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
As a side note, and despite the hollow point failure, since a 45 was used in the tests, there is a hole in the target almost half an inch wide.

Meh, 9mm that expands properly is still wider and also typically faster

Reactions: Axeman

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Actually, that is a failure of matching a properly constructed projectile to the speed at which it was being fired. A frangible bullet won't expand if fired slowly enough. That and some bullets just are no good.

I think we’re saying the same thing kind of but with different details.

Reactions: Liberty

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Too much velocity has also shown a lack of expansion in many many tests.

Yup. The 150gr HST Micro does not do well out of a 5" barrel. I forget who did a video on it but I was saw an extensive test on the 150gr Micro HST on YouTube and the added velocity of the 5" barrel caused them to act like an FMJ and not expand. They did the same test with a Shield and got 100% expansion every single time.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
As a side note, and despite the hollow point failure, since a 45 was used in the tests, there is a hole in the target almost half an inch wide.

And a 9mm 124gr HST +p expands to .66" and penetrates 18.3" and creates a better temporary and permanent wound cavity, and you get double the capacity in almost all double stack magazines.

SmartSelect_20181018-205610_Samsung Internet.jpg

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
I can’t agree here. I don’t understand why it’d ever be ok to anyone dealing with that amount of sound and flash just because the bad guy does too. Seems dumb to affect yourself negatively for no real reason. A 5” barrel with 223/556 shoots insane fireballs and will defean tf out of you instantly. Even at 10”, 223/556 is miserable. My 11.5” that you saw me run last time I shot with you is even far from ideal without my can. I’ve shot all of about 3 bullets non suppressed and refuse to do so anymore because of the sound alone.

You need a better muzzle device and a set of balls. But can you fit them in those skinny jeans?
:cheer2:
My 10.5” 5.56 is just fine with the BRT flash suppressor/blast device.
And I agree with @cmshoot about the stress of combat erasing the effects of muzzle blast - of all of us, he’s the most likely to have had the actual experience.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
You need a better muzzle device and a set of balls. But can you fit them in those skinny jeans?
:cheer2:
My 10.5” 5.56 is just fine with the BRT flash suppressor/blast device.
And I agree with @cmshoot about the stress of combat erasing the effects of muzzle blast - of all of us, he’s the most likely to have had the actual experience.

Meh it’s a flash hider and it’s all aimed forward, not some ghey brake blowing it back towards me. Now if I had a huge obnoxious muzzle brake on a 223, then you could tell me I have no balls lol...

Also, I wasn’t doubting cmshoots comment about not noticing it as bad. I doubted his logic for still running an obnoxious setup just because it’s equal or worse for whoever is on the receiving end.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

For no real reason? There is a HUGE, REAL reason; the ability to punch body armor and penetrate intermediate barriers. A gun that is quiet and comfortable to shoot, but won’t put an armored foe down, is not what I want to use. And, like I said, running a 5” 5.56 would be asinine.

Everything is a trade-off. I require an amount of penetration that a pistol round won’t give me. In order to get that, I have to put up with noise.....or slap a can on it.

Ive been both up and down range, indoors and outdoors, while 5.56 and 7.62x39mm rounds were fired. Big difference when you swap ends of the range.

I never meant it to sound like I said I preferred a loud gun because it’s louder to the bad guy. I didn’t say that and didn’t mean it. I just threw it out there as an ancillary fact.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
For no real reason? There is a HUGE, REAL reason; the ability to punch body armor and penetrate intermediate barriers. A gun that is quiet and comfortable to shoot, but won’t put an armored foe down, is not what I want to use. And, like I said, running a 5” 5.56 would be asinine.

Everything is a trade-off. I require an amount of penetration that a pistol round won’t give me. In order to get that, I have to put up with noise.....or slap a can on it.

Ive been both up and down range, indoors and outdoors, while 5.56 and 7.62x39mm rounds were fired. Big difference when you swap ends of the range.

I never meant it to sound like I said I preferred a loud gun because it’s louder to the bad guy. I didn’t say that and didn’t mean it. I just threw it out there as an ancillary fact.
Yeah, I don’t even know why anyone sells those really short barrels for 5.56, at that point the gas system will be struggling to keep up with it, and the uncorking pressure will be stupid.

As for over-penetration vs under-penetration, I certainly agree that under is far worse.
And this goes right back to the initial point; and now that my purpose for the 9mmP upper has been clarified as not just a range toy, the point remains valid.

Thanks @dial1911 for the pro/con list. I’ll consider that if I do want a cheaper plinker other than a .22lr later on.

Last edited:

Leadhoof

Dumb Bottom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Florida
e621.net
Zip code
Yeah, I don’t even know why anyone sells those really short barrels for 5.56, at that point the gas system will be struggling to keep up with it, and the uncorking pressure will be stupid.

As for over-penetration vs under-penetration, I certainly agree that under is far worse.

Pissing off people at indoor ranges must be a large enough market to justify it.

Reactions: BangBang and Axeman