Introductory of a new shooter

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have finally broke the ice with a couple of friends/family members that are now interested in getting into the world of guns. What are some good tips ya'll may have to make sure they have an enjoyable time on their first outing?

One example being my sister, she is finally coming around on getting her concealed carry permit and a form of protection for her self. I know that she has been around guns but am honestly not sure on how much she has even shot them. I have plans on taking her and my BIL to the gun range on Monday to assist them on deciding of their first firearm. I am obviously going to take all the proper steps in assuring their safety and proper handling of the firearm. Is there anything else that I could do to make sure that their time is enjoyable and feel that they learned as much as they could in? Thanks in advance

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Knowledge is confidence. Help them to understand the tools they will be using. A gun is no different to me than any other tool. A table saw will take my hand off if I use it incorrectly. A gun will take my hand off if I use it incorrectly. Thats what I usually start with for new shooters along will showing them exactly how the gun functions and the basics like finger off the bang switch, point it down range etc etc before handing it to them. Knowledge is confidence!

Reactions: Cudruln

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I'd stick with 22 to start with and would avoid any bullseye type target. I like stapling paper plates to silhouettes. Start close, let them earn the right to shoot further out at the beginning.

The paper plate is small enough to require some concentration, fundamentals, but not so small it's discouraging to new shooters.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I'd stick with 22 to start with and would avoid any bullseye type target. I like stapling paper plates to silhouettes. Start close, let them earn the right to shoot further out at the beginning.

The paper plate is small enough to require some concentration, fundamentals, but not so small it's discouraging to new shooters.
This is something I will definitely do. Thanks

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I'm with @freedom . Bring a reliable 22 preferably with a higher capacity and easier sights to use. Whether it's a red dot or peep sight. I find new shooters typically struggle more with the old buckhorn style sights. Make sure to give them a large enough target to where they can hit it fairly regularly to boost confidence. Nothing is more frustrating to a new shooter than not being able to hit a target. The second most annoying thing to a new shooter would probably be having a gun that isn't reliable. Constantly having to hand it over so you can clear it because they don't know how yet is also frustrating. The high-capacity should be an obvious reason. LOL. A Ruger 10/22, M&P 15-22, or my sig 522 are my go-to for a new shooter. They always love them and typically perform fairly well pretty quickly. Again, stay away from bullseye style targets. Typically they feel like it's a miss unless they're in the red. One of my favorites is a 12 pack of cheap Coke. Shake those cans up and put them on the Range at different intervals and let them Blast away until a can explodes.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I'm assuming this is handguns.

Treat it like taking kids fishing for the first time. If you want to fish, it's a pain in the butt.

My goals for new (adults especially) shooters is

#1- No one gets hurt
#2- Make them want to go shooting again.

I worry about other stuff later.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I'm assuming this is handguns.

Treat it like taking kids fishing for the first time. If you want to fish, it's a pain in the butt.

My goals for new (adults especially) shooters is

#1- No one gets hurt
#2- Make them want to go shooting again.

I worry about other stuff later.
Yes this is handguns. I will be taking my little collection for them get a feel. I do have a .22 that I will get them started on so they will not be overwhelmed and will probably end up renting a couple different ones also.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Also I don't plan on shooting at all while they are at the range. That way they will have my full attention.
It might be best if you do shoot a round with them. That way they can see it's OK to be a bad shot.:boink: