If you could only carry...

American Revival Apparel Company

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
yes but it can be dangerous if you just give it without knowing anything about it.

Cant give an adult one to kids and you have to be careful giving it to someone with heart conditions. Its important to know when to use epinephrine vs benedryl
Agree completely, Benedryl is by far both ingested and used as a topical versatile..I simply answered what it was for..Oh and it can also be used for respiratory distress in some cases. But with All pharmaceuticals not to be used unless you are aware of clinical doses and side effects..

Reactions: Patryn and AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Agree completely, Benedryl is by far both ingested and used as a topical versatile..I simply answered what it was for..Oh and it can also be used for respiratory distress in some cases. But with All pharmaceuticals not to be used unless you are aware of clinical doses and side effects..
your the man, Ive just seen too much wrong information spread on forums that could possibly get someone killed if they dont know what they are doing.

funny story about epipens.

We got a call for a 6yo boy having a febrile seizure. His grandmother was watching him and called 911. When we showed up she said she gave him his epipen (kid was allergic to bee stings), this of course does nothing to fix a seizure.

Well, we get out to the truck and my partner sees two holes on the kids leg, I go ask the grandmother for the epipen to take to the ER with the kid. Well grandma hands me two epipens and said the first didnt stop the seizure so she gave him a second one. After we got to the hospital and grandma calmed down I gave her a little quick education on how and when to use them.

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Bottom line is if you are not familiar with any drug, don't take it..If you have questions go to a Medical doctor and ask your questions, get the correct answers..

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I'm familiar with them, as my daughter has a peanut allergy. I just wondered why someone would carry one as a general purpose self aid item.

That makes sense if you normally carry one for known allergies. Thanks.

Carried one most my life.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Carried one most my life.
Just curious. What allergy? Our daughter is almost six. We found out about her peanut allergy at 1yo. As a dad, I hate that she will likely have to deal with it for the rest of her life. And I especially hate that she'll never know the deliciousness of a pb&j. Man, I miss peanut butter...

Reactions: freedom

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Just curious. What allergy? Our daughter is almost six. We found out about her peanut allergy at 1yo. As a dad, I hate that she will likely have to deal with it for the rest of her life. And I especially hate that she'll never know the deliciousness of a pb&j. Man, I miss peanut butter...

Mostly the stings from red ants, yellow jackets and wasps. Whatever the chemical is...

Reactions: DarthVader

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code

My wife developed an airborne peanut allergy after she was thirty. I don't believe we have ever let an epipen hit its expiration date. It's sad, for your daughter too.

I ordered a milkshake last month and was given a Butterfinger one by mistake. I ate a big spoonful, with a big piece of candy in it before I realized what it was. I told my wife, told her I was going straight in, not to come up to me. Btw I used mouthwash and flossed before I went home. Went inside, started the washer, put my clothes in it, got in the shower, brushed my teeth twice in the shower. Literally didn't open my mouth inside the house and had to epipen her when I got out of the shower. I have to do all the grocery shopping for the part of the year when peanuts are in season. It's a curse, I hate it for her, and for your daughter.

We keep a minimum of three on hand. She carries two, one in the house, and one at the church where she works. She's also a preschool teacher. Even though all parents and students are told to not send peanuts, or eat them in the morning, she's had the ambulance take her to the hospital twice in the past 12 months, and injected herself God knows how many more times.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
@ATLEMT, what are your thoughts on QuikClot? I have a couple small packs of it that I keep with my kits (also have some of that blood clotting spray stuff), but I've wondered if they are worth the cost compared to a large trauma pad. I've never used either, figured you would know.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
Epi-pen here, too. Severe anaphylaxis from any bee sting. Sucks. Almost died when I was six. Dad was hitting me so hard with my tshirt to get them off me, he knocked out my front two teeth.

Oh and cell phone and charger. :boink:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
@ATLEMT, what are your thoughts on QuikClot? I have a couple small packs of it that I keep with my kits (also have some of that blood clotting spray stuff), but I've wondered if they are worth the cost compared to a large trauma pad. I've never used either, figured you would know.

There are mixed feelings on them, they do work well in stopping bleeding but they also damage the tissue around the wound. I personally would only use it if direct pressure did not work and you were not going to be getting any sort of medical help in a reasonable amount of time.

If its a case of I'm shot and need to get back into the fight then it is great, But if im just bleeding but can sit and wait for help then I would attempt direct pressure.

I would use this

Direct pressure>quick clot> tourniquet

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
There are mixed feelings on them, they do work well in stopping bleeding but they also damage the tissue around the wound. I personally would only use it if direct pressure did not work and you were not going to be getting any sort of medical help in a reasonable amount of time.

If its a case of I'm shot and need to get back into the fight then it is great, But if im just bleeding but can sit and wait for help then I would attempt direct pressure.

I would use this

Direct pressure>quick clot> tourniquet
Okay, good info, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the tissue damage concerns. I pretty much assumed it was one of those last-resort items, but wasn't sure.

I have a big box full of first aid supplies that vendors would give me as samples, ranging from band aids all the way up to 100 person first aid kits with the big trauma dressings, etc.

One of these days I need to take a basic first-responder class to know what to use & when

Reactions: Patryn

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
yes, but since it is 3 items you won't be able to take anything to put in them.

My wife would carry the ammo and gin/vermouth.

The kids carry ice.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA

I carry the shit out of quit clot