I removed my Magguts system from my LCP yesterday

American Revival Apparel Company

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I removed the magguts system yesterday from my LCP's mag. I have not had any issues shooting at the range with it but I have a issue after carrying it all day, the shells seem to creep forward in the mag. I have had minor hangups removing mag due to the shells creeping forward in the mag after an all day carry. It's was starting to get to me. I think its a good system but I feel the springs need to keep the shells static in the mag. If I had to defend myself after carring it all day I would be concerned on the reliability. I have to feel confident and I am not with this happening. Stiffen up the springs and I would be happy to try it again.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Went to their website & now I'm wondering how in the world do you get 7 rounds in the 6-round LCP magazine with no additional/larger baseplate? I'm baffled, what am I not seeing here? Yogi :-\

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Yogi 117 said:
Went to their website & now I'm wondering how in the world do you get 7 rounds in the 6-round LCP magazine with no additional/larger baseplate? I'm baffled, what am I not seeing here? Yogi :-\
I believe the "trick" is a very thin follower made of some sort of sheet metal instead of the cast plastic Ruger follwer, though I have not seen the kit.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Trigger_1 said:
Have you contacted magguts yet to see what they might say..... :-\

No not yet, I think if the follower was hollow instead of a flat plate it wouldn't tilt it would stay level pushing the ammo and not move forward like it does. Make the the springs a little bit stiffer so the rounds doesn't shift forward in the mag they may have a decent product. I don't understand the concept of 2 springs. A little modifications I would be all for it. Using it for the the range it worked 100% for me. It just concerns me the ammo shifts forward like it does in the mag after carrying it for a day. I sometimes have to wiggle the mag out because the bullet being shifted forward in the mag is hanging up in the gun when removing it.

Here is the link that shows a picture of the system.

http://magguts.com/?page_id=100

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
I've had the Magguts system in my LCP for a few months, carry it every day, and have not had any movement of the rounds at all - back pocket, Bear Creek Holster. Last shot it 3 weeks ago; same magazine in LCP continuously since. Just checked it and the rounds are all firmly in place against the back of the mag, as they should be.

The spring installation procedure is kind of funky and it looks like it is backwards when you do it right. Could the springs be in wrong?

Or - my magazine has 7 rounds of Hornaday Critical Defense - could the type of ammo make a difference, maybe??

Definitely makes sense to talk to the Magguts folks.
Double :-\

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
redmond said:
I've had the Magguts system in my LCP for a few months, carry it every day, and have not had any movement of the rounds at all - back pocket, Bear Creek Holster. Last shot it 3 weeks ago; same magazine in LCP continuously since. Just checked it and the rounds are all firmly in place against the back of the mag, as they should be.

The spring installation procedure is kind of funky and it looks like it is backwards when you do it right. Could the springs be in wrong?

Or - my magazine has 7 rounds of Hornaday Critical Defense - could the type of ammo make a difference, maybe??

Definitely makes sense to talk to the Magguts folks.
Double :-\

I have Hornady Critical Defense in it. I was careful on the orientation on it. I am in limbo on it right now, I have a new .357 snubby revolver I am breaking in thinking it just may make a decent main carry gun, also I just got a FoxX holster for my SR9c I haven't got a chance to try out. The is on my list but to do but not a priority but I will definitely check on the spring orientation. Thanks for the advice, thinking I got it right but I am only human and not exempt from making a mistake. Thanks redmond, I will let y'all know. ;D

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I have contacted (emailed) magguts support, I re-read my last post it made me sound a little lazy lol. I'm not. I will hopfully get time to double check the spring postions this weekend. I was very carful when I installed the system, even had the video up on the computer screen pausing it step by step for reference. Stay tuned. :)

Uncle George

Don't leave home without it.
Jun 10, 2012
Austin and Gomorrah
RugerRon60 said:
I removed the magguts system yesterday from my LCP's mag. I have not had any issues shooting at the range with it but I have a issue after carrying it all day, the shells seem to creep forward in the mag. I have had minor hangups removing mag due to the shells creeping forward in the mag after an all day carry. It's was starting to get to me. I think its a good system but I feel the springs need to keep the shells static in the mag. If I had to defend myself after carring it all day I would be concerned on the reliability. I have to feel confident and I am not with this happening. Stiffen up the springs and I would be happy to try it again.

After reading this I thought I should check my pistol. I have had Magguts in mine since they started selling them and have carried the pistol in my wallet holster every day since. Mine hasn't done that. The rounds are perfectly in place. I carry Hornady Critical Defense also.

So, I took the pistol over to the couch and whammed the pistol, nose first, into the couch cushion over and over again with a pretty good force trying to dislodge or cause the top round or any of the rounds to move forward. None of the rounds in the mag moved. I don't think that while carrying it everyday that the pistol is subjected to any such forces.

I don't think the spring in the mag is too weak in mine. On mine, when installing the mag into the pistol with the seven rounds in the mag it is a little harder to shove it all the way in until the mag clicks into place than it was with the mag without the magguts installed. The top round in either mag when installed in the pistol rides up against and pushes up against the bottom of the slide. The bottom of the slide actually pushes the top round down into the magazine. The last little push to make the mag engage into the mag lock is the push of the round being shoved down into the mag. The upward push is caused by the magazine spring. The round doesn't just sit there without any pressure on it allowing it to slide forward when carrying it. It is pushed down into the mag. When the slide goes back from firing, the pressure from underneath the round from the spring causes it to snap up into place so the slide can shove it into the chamber. It would seem then that the original mag without the magguts installed actually pushes up with a lesser force against the bottom of the slide as it takes less force to install the mag into the pistol. I have never had the sliding forward of the round problem with the original mag without the magguts. I can't see how, if the mag with the magguts installed that pushes up with a greater force would allow the round to slide forward while in the pistol. I saw posts back when the magguts just came out that folks were saying that it took more force to install the magguts mag than the original mag without the magguts. I am figuring that not just mine is that way but is generally true of all the magguts mags.

Perhaps you might compare how much force it takes to install the mag into the pistol until it engages the slide lock with both the magguts mag and mag without the magguts. If your magguts mag takes more force to install then perhaps the spring might not be at fault. If it is easier to install the magguts mag than the mag without the magguts, then perhaps a weak spring could be at fault.

Just my opinion, not a gunsmith. Hope this helps and you find the cause. Don't leave home without it. Uncle George

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
With the magguts system it is so easy to put rounds in it, especially the first round is so easy I am surprised I get to fire the last round off but it does fire from the pistol. Now that I have the Ruger inners back in it the round feel like it has some support, You can feel the first round has a lot more pressure pushing up from spring that the magguts springs. I was really surprised how weak the magguts spring really is to the Ruger spring. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. Thanks for posting UG.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Steve from Magguts company email me back today. He seems to think it's the ammo I am using. Hornady Critical Defense and not using a full mag I always use a full mag, The rounds are shifting forward and catching on something. Not sure what yet, I wish I would have looked closer before I removed it and put the old springs back in. Here is what they are telling me:

We don't have any of that ammo here right now, but I'll take a closer look when I get my hands on some.
Also, just a few notes:
-When the MagGuts converted magazine is fully loaded and in the firearm, there should be very little difference in pressure pushing that top round against the bottom of the slide vs the OEM mag. The friction caused by that pressure (or lack thereof) is what would cause the movement you describe.
-The top round in the magazine, when loaded in the firearm with the breech closed, is limited in forward travel by the frame underneath the feed ramp. There is room to move, but I don't believe enough to cause any problems during operation. I would imagine that this is a consideration of design by firearm manufacturers as this limited movement is possible with vibration or impact with even the OEM mag. Also, carrying with less than a full magazine would be more susceptible to this problem since there is less spring pressure.
Anyway, we will continue to analyze and consider your concerns. We really appreciate the feedback.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
i had this problem with HCD in my OEM LCP magazines and it's one of the reasons I no longer carry HCD. it created feeding problems and even made it bind up sometimes when I would remove a loaded magazine.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
yz9890 said:
i had this problem with HCD in my OEM LCP magazines and it's one of the reasons I no longer carry HCD. it created feeding problems and even made it bind up sometimes when I would remove a loaded magazine.

Wow; so it could be the ammo type! Interesting, thanks for posting, Still on the fence with it on what I am going to do with it even after I get the issue straightened out. If I could rule it out and blame it on the ammo I would have the option of selling it if I didn't reinstall it. I don't want to sell it if it is defective. I know HCD feeds well and stays put with the OEM Ruger springs for me.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
could be. it's the only ammo that ever did that to my LCP but I've got several friends that use it in theirs and they've never had a problem. maybe the few boxes of HCD I bought were freaks. a mm too long or something. I bought them all at the same time and from the same place so it could be a batch issue I suppose.