I did something silly to my ar!

Faktory 47

Shooters Edge

Hunter
Mar 26, 2015
Griffin
Zip code
OK I recently bought a couple of lowers from QRF. I built the first one with no problem watching youtube. Its complete. The second one I started to build without watching any videos. Well I got the trigger guard in, mag release and then I started my bolt catch. Heres where I ran into the problem. Instead of the plunger, I used the safety detent, (I thought I knew what I was doing). See when I went to install the safety with the spring and grip I noticed I didn't have the detent. I used it for the bolt catch. I tried like hell to remove the roll pin from the bolt catch to get my detent back out. I broke 2 punches, 2 hex tools, and a small skinny ass screwdriver. Now the bolt catch is functional I guess. I ordered a lot on eBay that includes 10 safety springs and detents.

What a mistake I did!

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
First time I ever changed a pistol grip on an AR i put the spring in the new grip but it didn't line up with the hole right when I put it back in. Bent the crap out of the spring, the grip wouldn't screw on all the way and the safety wouldn't work.

Oops...

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
Going to be assembling an AR within the coming months. I'll definitely pay attention to what I'm doing. Thanks for the advance heads up guys!

Blackrifler42

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
I guy I work with just built his first AR after hearing me talk about how cheap and easy it was. He came back the next day after assembling and told me he had messed it up somehow. I didn't understand what he was saying at first but he did exactly what you did. So don't feel bad.

Shooters Edge

Hunter
Mar 26, 2015
Griffin
Zip code
I guy I work with just built his first AR after hearing me talk about how cheap and easy it was. He came back the next day after assembling and told me he had messed it up somehow. I didn't understand what he was saying at first but he did exactly what you did. So don't feel bad.
Glad I'm not the only one

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Note to self. Do not buy used lower receivers from shooters edge. ;)
Now that is a statement coming from you, that I completely understand..Your luck has been less than stellar, with several weapons..Better day coming!!

Reactions: Bypass

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I will second the cmmg kit especially for new builders.

They make sure to put similar looking parts into separate color coded bags to prevent a mix up. And the parts aren't all that bad other than the standard mil spec (read: shitty) trigger.

Shooters Edge

Hunter
Mar 26, 2015
Griffin
Zip code
I will second the cmmg kit especially for new builders.

They make sure to put similar looking parts into separate color coded bags to prevent a mix up. And the parts aren't all that bad other than the standard mil spec (read: shitty) trigger.
The first kit I bought wasn't that brand but I was I separate bags. The second one which is the one I fucked up on was all together.