Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It has been a few days now and I have been able to adequately process what happened. Last Friday on my way to the trebuchet competition I stopped at the True Value hardware store over by Marietta Square/cemetery. As I was walking to my car I saw an "urban" man ( sorry, he was black) dressed in what would almost certainly pass for gang attire with a red and white bandanna hanging out of his pocket down near his knees. He had ear buds in and was listening to music loud enough for me to hear some of it from 25 feet away.

I didn't give it much thought except when he saw me he started walking a faster towards me and got a determined look on his face. I didn't really want to find out if something was going down and thankfully I had backed in to the parking space, allowing me to put my truck between he and I. As I opened the door and he got closer and closer he kept staring at me...The warning bells at this point started going off. I know it's just Marietta but when someone who is even bigger than me locked on to you and walks with some intention towards you I think it's natural to get on guard.

This is where things got weird and potentially dangerous. As he got to about 10 feet away I see him reaching in to his pants pockets and start pulling something out. I was standing next to my truck with the door open, he could see my upper body but not completely. HE kept looking at me as he drew something out of his pants pocket and swung it in my direction, grasping it with both hands as he went.

At this point I didn't know what was happening other than:
A. A large man that looked to have ill intentions had single me out.
B. He had been walking towards me while never breaking eye contact.
C. He pulled something out of his pocket when he got within striking distance and was beginning to point in my direction.

I began to lift my shirt and reach for my gun...thinking that this guy had just pulled a pistol and was about to either rob or kill me. I had my hand on my gun and as I was about to draw he started pointing what was in his hands, which he was holding cup and saucer style, from side to side. It was then that I noticed he was holding a black Ipod.

This guy came up on me and waited until he was close enough to scare an average person to quickly pull out something black, hold it like he was holding a gun, and begin pointing it in my general direction. I guess he was trying to act gangster like whatever rap song he was listening to.

Had I not noticed he had ear buds in to begin with and seen the cord just barely dangling from the back of the Ipod he may have lost his life that and I would have ruined mine. Thankfully I never drew my gun but I think he realized what had just almost happened and shoved his ipod back in his pocket as he quickly crossed the street.

I still don't know if I overreacted or not. All the signs were there. I guess it could have just as easily been a gun that he pulled, in which case I was far too slow. Now that I know that it wasn't, I can't help but feel that I overreacted. Then I really begin to freak out a little thinking how I could have killed that man because he was doing something insanely stupid. Of course he didn't know I was armed....but in GA ANYBODY could be armed. My hesitation is also plaguing me. What if it HAD been a gun? I might not be here typing this now.

I am somewhat embarrassed by this story but I share it to illustrate that no matter where you are, what you're doing to be aware of your surroundings. One must always be vigilant and keep their wits about them. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility, and despite the fact all fo us hope we never have to use one we must also be unflinchingly ready to do so.

Last edited:

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
thank you for sharing.
since we moved to GA 5 years ago.when we go to Macon im always looking at everyone like they are SUSPECT. and couple times after having people tap on ur windows,follow u in parking lot asking for $$$. I am more aware of my surroundings.but we can never be FULLY aware of what someone else is going to do. glad it turned out this way for u! be safe

Reactions: Strider12 and Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
besides ur CC gun.do u carry a truck gun also?

Not at the moment....but I may do so now. Having a spare USP tucked in the seat may have given me faster access to a gun...

I might need to invest in a super cheap AR.

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Not at the moment....but I may do so now. Having a spare USP tucked in the seat may have given me faster access to a gun...

I might need to invest in a super cheap AR.

my husband doesn't like them(.but I have 4 PAP's and I use them as truck guns.have 1 in each vehichle

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I also keep a 12 guage in each room of my house and 1 in garage

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I think you are spot on, all the signs were apparently there, had it been me I would have certainly had my hand on my gun as well - depending on his distance and how quickly he was closing distance, I might have pulled and been at low ready, but hard to say (at the very least, I would have cleared my shirt and moving to put something in between us).

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
thinking back now on the incident.do u think he was going to ask you for $$$ or was just trying be a bad ass thug?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
thinking back now on the incident.do u think he was going to ask you for $$$ or was just trying be a bad ass thug?

The only explanation I can come up with is he was listening to some type of music and "in the groove". He saw me and though he'd have fun trying to scare some white boy....

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I used to have a Maverick 88 18" that I carried in the truck, didn't care if it got scratched up, but ended up giving it to my FIL a while back. Since I started traveling more/leaving my truck in airport parking, I keep it cleaned out. May look at a PAP or a WASR to toss back in eventually

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
The only explanation I can come up with is he was listening to some type of music and "in the groove". He saw me and though he'd have fun trying to scare some white boy....

scary thing is next white boy might just shoot his ass

Reactions: Shemp

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I used to have a Maverick 88 18" that I carried in the truck, didn't care if it got scratched up, but ended up giving it to my FIL a while back. Since I started traveling more/leaving my truck in airport parking, I keep it cleaned out. May look at a PAP or a WASR to toss back in eventually

I bought my PAP's awhile back when they were $450-500 out the door.think they are more now.just throw it in a gym bag/tactical bag.i think its great truck gun

Reactions: Shemp