How Young is Old Enough?

American Revival Apparel Company

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Been thinking about what comes next after successfully teaching your children about guns, gun safety and handeling guns...self defense training.

At what age should a father consider training his kids how to fight with their pistol, rifle and shotgun?

What about pepper spray?

Any thoughts on age and tools of defense?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I don't have any children, but if I did, I suspect I would try to do so as early as possible based upon their abilities and then escalate from there.

I grew up with 4 siblings, well all took to things differently; I would think that the individual training would come about based upon their ability and familiarity with the platform. :noidea:

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
My father, would send me out w/ a box of .22 LR ammo (50 rounds) and a old German single shot rifle, and I would walk into the woods and shoot targets ( that being whatever I saw fit too shoot.) I was around 10 years old... ( It was the 70's )

That being said...I think around 10-13 is a good age... Its not 1970 & people freak out over nothing...

The main thing is to teach them about a zero. and proper safety... IMHO...

Reactions: Red Dawn

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
bb guns under direct supervision when they are 8 ... give them the safety lessons over and over i cannot stress safety safety safety... and when they are 11ish .22LR for realz.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I dunno...if this were 1820 they'd be out hunting with a musket at 10.....it just depends on their maturity level and their abilities.

Reactions: madHatter

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The early the training the better! I taught my kids at 2-3 years old to be able to identify a weapon (gun, knife etc.) and to not touch it and immediately notify and adult. I have always taught my children early and often about many things. Too many parents leave the needed life lessons to be taught to their children to TV and internet! Kids know more about phones than anything else by age 3 nowadays!

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
In not talking hunting or trusting a young person with a firearm, I'm talkin about attending a fighting pistol or fighting rifle course where they learn how to fight and defend theirselves and others with their firearm.

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
In not talking hunting or trusting a young person with a firearm, I'm talkin about attending a fighting pistol or fighting rifle course where they learn how to fight and defend theirselves and others with their firearm.
You can't quantify it by age. It's a maturity issue. I'd do it as soon as they can handle it and as young as the instructor will allow.

Reactions: Sheps and Kobayashi

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
You can't quantify it by age. It's a maturity issue. I'd do it as soon as they can handle it and as young as the instructor will allow.
Agreed.

I like the idea. Similarly, I have considered putting my kids through one of the 3 day racing courses in preparation for getting a drivers license. In either case, learning to function at the more extreme end of the spectrum can make someone more proficient in common situations.

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Unfortunately, in today's litigious society, there are age limits for many things. I agree with Gunsite Grad that age has nothing to do with maturity. Violence is learned thru video games at a very early age. The problem is that due to immaturity, kids cannot differentiate between real and fantasy. In real life there are consequences to hurting another or killing that are not the same as a game. If you feel that a child is mature enough, then you can probably find a private instructor to train with. We ask ourselves to be vigilant, why not our children? You cannot always be there to protect them.

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
^ Video games and violence has been debunked many, many times.

People develop at different speeds. Dougs kids will be ready for training classes before the average Joe's because they'll already know how to safely and proficiently operate the tools. But your first might be ready at 9 and your second at 13. I guess the answer is "Whenever they are ready" and only you/they can know that.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
One kid who started early

rtYfiTiU.jpeg

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It depends on the kid and if they are interested. My daughter has zero interest, so that kills that.
I started hunting and shooting at about age 5.