How often to clean striker fired pistols?

GA Firing Line

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Most of you know I just purchased the SR9c, I read that it's a good idea to clean the striker assembly right off the bat. I have not as of yet. I haven't seen anyone really talking about it much. Curious if the SR#c owners clean theirs when and how often. Thanks.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I clean every gun I own after each time out shooting, except for my 22's. They get shot quite often and I clean them every 500 rounds or when I feel like it. As for a brand new gun, most will say to clean a brand new gun because the oil/grease that is in them from the manufacturer is about rust prevention and storage more so than actual lubrication. What to use? Well that is a whole other topic!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
When really nasty I will use something stronger and get more serious, but typically I use Break-Free CLP liberally. Then I let it sit for several hours or even overnight in the hard to reach areas. Air hose it and then do a typical cleaning & wipe down from there. If it is going to sit for a while (like a safe queen) I will mist the exterior with Remoil and wipe down thoroughly.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
No need to clean the striker channel every time you fire the weapon. I had over 2,000 rounds on my G26 last time before I cleaned it. Great info from the previous posts. Check Hickok45 on youtube, he does a pretty good video of tearing down a Glock slide, which will give an idea of what's involved. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner, q-tips, pipe cleaners, plain alcohol, all are friends of the striker channel, just be sure not to leave residue behind. Yogi 8)

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I'm getting so I like using a gun patch , and a polymer gun pick... over using q-tips more and more. You can get those patches into places that a q-tip would never going in public places..Stricker channel is a definite exception to that rule!!

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
bigdogdaddy said:
Gotta ask Yogi. Brake cleaner vs. Gun Scrubber. I still can't bring myself to spray the brake cleaner on my gun.
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works just fine. Never used Gun Scrubber, but sure it works just fine too! Heck, just plain ole alcohol will work. If I have the slide completely disassembled, I will run pipe cleaner thru the channel to absorb anything left behind. If I just spray into the channel without disassembly, I will use a can of compressed air and blow out the channel. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is a pretty good cleaner of grease/soot build up. It's all good! Yogi 8)

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
If the SRs are like Gs, you don't want anything in that channel. It has a neoprene liner that has all the lubricity needed.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I emailed Ruger to see what they recommend:

Response:
We would recommend cleaning of the striker channel about every 200 to 300 rounds, depending on what type of ammunition you are shooting.

R

rayzer007

Verticoli said:
If the SRs are like Gs, you don't want anything in that channel. It has a neoprene liner that has all the lubricity needed.

"Lubricity" is a perfectly appropriate word! Well said Verticoli! ;)

Ray

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
RugerRon60 said:
I emailed Ruger to see what they recommend:

Response:
We would recommend cleaning of the striker channel about every 200 to 300 rounds, depending on what type of ammunition you are shooting.
I still think this is too often, but do what your conscience tells you. Like I said earlier, I did my G26 recently, but after over 2,000 rounds. Channel wasn't bad at all. I would go ahead and do it soon so you see procedure & results, which will also help you set a plan based on how much junk you find in your channel. Good luck buddy! Yogi 8)

D

Denny4kids

I recently had to remove the copper buildup from my XDm 5.25 9mm. I figure 2k of federal and white box FMJ's and another 1k of reloads using Berry's 124 grain. Maybe more rounds than that. I'm not going to use just a bore snake anymore. She will now get a brush once in a while also. I forget what I used with my nylon brush but the fouling came out. When I first looked down the barrel I thought something was wrong, LOL. Den

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Yogi 117 said:
I still think this is too often, but do what your conscience tells you.

I agree. Especially since I only use store bought rounds as well. I am thinking about checking it around 800 -1000 rounds. I just don't see it getting that dirty at 200-300 rounds. Curious on anyone that cleaned theirs and at what round number and how did it look?

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
You guys got me worried. I had never disassembled my XDsc striker assembly and it's had 2k or so rounds through it.

So, took it apart and the channel was basically clean as a whistle. Looks like every now and then should work.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
redmond said:
You guys got me worried. I had never disassembled my XDsc striker assembly and it's had 2k or so rounds through it.

So, took it apart and the channel was basically clean as a whistle. Looks like every now and then should work.

That sounds more like it. I am thinking the SR strikers will show the same. Still gonna check around 800-1000 though. Thanks for the input.