How much light is too much?

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I was just clicking around looking for deals and saw the Streamlight TLR-1 HL now puts out 800 lumens.

Am I alone in thinking that is too bright for a weapon light? Especially one designed for a pistol. I've never thought any of my 200 lumen lights were too dim.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Go big or go home.

Just think if you can't hit em you can always temporarily blind them.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
kinda agree with that. ive always assumed my TLR would also help blind an intruder. I cant really think of any downsides... Battery life maybe lol

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I have the Streamlight HPL mounted on a 10/22 for dispatching predators at night. It is a great light for distance, but is too bright for anything up close or to see the ground directly in front of you. It washes everything out. It is 775 lumens. Still a great light though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I don't think 800 lumens is necessary. Comparing my 1000 lumen handheld to the 200 lumen streamlight weapons light, there is some difference, but not enough to matter. Like leshaire said, I'd rather have longer battery life and less light "splash" back in my own face.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I could see the use of 800 lumens if it had a long throw with minimal splash for use on rifles, but pistols it seems like it would cause more harm then good.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I had a 750 lumen Primary Arms Weapon light on one of my carbines for a while until I accidentally shined it at a white post on my porch one night while out looking for a dog that ran off. The splash back instantly blinded me and I couldn't see shit for a couple of minutes. I have since stepped my lights back down to standard TLR-1s.

Reactions: AtlMedic

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Ha... yeah- lights can definitely be too bright to use. I was inspecting a house once with my new O-light headlamp. I was impressed because I could see darn near all the way across the crawlspace with it on high.

And then I raised my head up right beside an a/c duct... you know, the kind wrapped in shiny insulation. It was almost physically painful as the light beam hit me in the face.

I clicked the headlamp back down to low after I could see again. I don't remember how many lumens that thing is rated for- but I'm sure it's not 800.

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
I have a standard trl-1 on my bedside and it's plenty of enough. Especially, going from pitch dark to light instantly. Doesn't mess with your eyesight.

Reactions: AtlMedic

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
I can tell you right now that there are two major downsides to having anything over 500 lumens, and even then I think 200 lumens is more than adequate.

1) Battery life - if you do a simple search of specs you'll see the battery life is dramatically decreased with the higher lumen lights.

2) Close Quarter Manipulation - White light indoors is pretty intense and the bounce back from 600+lumens off a light colored service is and can blind you and take away from your vision, not to also mention picture frames, mirrors, reflective house hold items. Surefire was first to do something about this and released the Intellibeam Fury (auto sensing dimmer), which I own but even still training in low light with high lumens is just too much, anything over 200 lumens and the intruder/assailant will be blinded.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
Unfortunately this is one of those cases where the industry is just supplying what people think they want. Most people when standing in front of a rack of flashlights will compare two things, price and light output. They dont think about what the light will be used for, they just see the lumen rating. More must be better, right?

I would avoid a light that bright for home defense with a pistol. Too much light will blind you, wash out details, and ruin your natural night vision.

Reactions: Sparked_1

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I mounted a Streamlight polytac to my AR, it's rated at 300 lumens. I blacked out my house and went around and wasn't blinded by any reflections luckily my house doesn't have any white walls which helps.

It's also bright enough to light up my yard so I should be good for any possible HD use.

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
I have the Streamlight HPL mounted on a 10/22 for dispatching predators at night. It is a great light for distance, but is too bright for anything up close or to see the ground directly in front of you. It washes everything out. It is 775 lumens. Still a great light though.

This, any kind of distance I dont think its a problem but anything close it can become nearly worthless

adamp313

Scout
Jul 11, 2016
Nashville
Zip code
I have the TLR1- HL. I like it. the 800 lumens doesn't bother me, as the battery dies the output decreases. Battery life doesn't seem to be an issue, when would you be looking to change them, like while you be operating your nightstand/predator gun to the point of battery exhaustion? Using something like the TLR-3 with only 90 lumens doesn't even hold a light to something like the TLR1-HL.

Reactions: medium187mph

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For indoors, you don't need more than 200 lumens. A bit more than that won't hurt. Too much splashback off of white walls, glass in picture frames, mirrors, stainless steel appliances, etc.

Been there, done that......

I routinely run white lights that are more powerful than 200 lumens, but it's just not necessary for indoor use.