How much has the ammo hoarding and scalping decreased your shooting?

Faktory 47

What much less are you shooting now since the hoarding and scalping of ammo began?

• 100% not shooting at all

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 75% less

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 50% less

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 25% less

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 0% I have no problem with paying more or other reason

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Personally I have not shot powder burners at all this year, and will not cater to the scalpers.

NOTE: I use to shoot a minimum of One time each week, many weeks two times. Now shooting air guns daily.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I reload, So the biggest thing is primers. Bout A new pellet pistol and have a old pellet riffle.
I have A lot of black powder guns.

RICHGCOOP

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Haven't been out since late last year and am now looking at airsoft as an alternative, but you already knew that... lol

I'm waiting for this lunacy to simmer before I even entertain the idea of buying more ammo. Costs have skyrocketed, value has plummeted, and supply has as much as dried up. It's not worth the headache or effort.

I've got protection ammo filling two mags of each gun I own and that's all I need to be confident in my safety.

From there my plinking fun will now be achieved through 6mm plastic pellets. Cheaper, no ear protection necessary, can do in my own home, no target depletion, more shots per mag, and less maintenance required. Did I mention cheaper, fraction of cost; reusable ammo without need of "reloading" other than putting back in mag... Where's the downside? ;D

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
I used to go shooting twice a month. In the last four months I have only gone two times (the second time being last Friday). I have plenty of ammo, but it's my SHTF stuff and I don't want to blast it all away at the range. I acquired that cache over a few years during times of plenty. In the past, I'd shoot about 150 rounds on the pistol range, and about the same amount on the rifle range. Friday I shot 50 rounds of .45 ACP, 18 rounds of .380, and 60 rounds of .223 through the AR...a drastic reduction in rounds and time on the range. :(

As I mentioned before in another thread (can't remember if it was on this forum or the other forum), you can buy anything you want on Gun Broker (gun shows too)...for 2-3 times the normal price...ammo, mags, guns. I will not cater to the scalping either. I can see a person who has a firearm, but absolutely no ammo for it, going over there and buying a box of ammo for protection though.

The times I have been able to score a little ammo at Wally World or the LGS, the prices were about the same as before. However, I went to a recent gun show and the prices were sky high.

There is no ammo shortage. It's all being bought up and sold elsewhere at ridiculously high prices. This bites! Eventually, the bubble will burst and ammo will be available again. When that happens, those hoarders and scalpers won't be able to unload their stash. When that happens, they can stick it up where the sun don't shine for all I care!

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Down to no less than 500 rounds of each caliber. ssooo. i guess i'm dialing back starting now. Not going to pay inflated prices. Guess I'm going to wait em out. I'm betting i win this wait out party. Hope all those who bought all the rounds never sell em. Hope they put them on the market when they are willing to get the 'FAIR PRICE" for them. But I won't buy them.. I'm waiting for my LGS to get back up to speed... then I'll buy from them. Sportsman warehouse in provo.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I picked up 3 boxes of Fiocchi 380 ammunitions this afternoon. $17.99 each for a total cost of $65.23 after taxes. With what I already have stashed away that ought to do it. At least one range trips coming this week.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
I have almost cut out my shooting. I have a good supply for all my guns but I am hoarding it until the supplies ease up. :mad:

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
I haven't been in a couple months now. Makes me sad...

I have a decent stock but I don't want to shoot because replenishing is painful so I too am waiting it out.

The only thing I don't have is any .223 or 5.56 but that's because it's a brand new platform for me. I've only owned handguns but came across a great deal (I think) and so I got my first AR.

Had to sell some of my possessions (literally) to cover the cost but it was worth it, who knows what is coming down the road. I really didn't want to be caught in the woulda coulda shoulda....

Now I'm trying to find non-scare pricing on .223 or 5.56 and it is impossible... Boooooo

Really want to shoot this rifle... I've already cleaned it twice! Hahaha

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Went to range yesterday, It was kind of eerie. No one shooting, the whole place so clean, no brass near the stalls. In front on the range floor were mostly shotgun shells and rifle shells and not very many of those.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Well if this poll is a indication of what is going on around the country. (these votes are more indicative of more serious shooters) then you have to see that the fast majority of shooters are not going to the range to any extent. Yet ammo is still being gouged in high prices by sellers across the country.
Supply and demand? My range was completely dead again today. Yet the gun prices were higher than ever. A Phoenix HP22 which I paid $125 for a year ago was selling for $239. I asked the clerk why the outrageous price on 9mm ammo that they were selling was so high? "Because of supply and demand" was his reply. Ok, I said, It is time for me to renew my yearly range card which was up for expiration. Well guess what? No discount for renewing and still the same price. SO MUCH FOR SUPPLY AND DEMAND

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Went this Wednesday with my son, home from college, for the first time since the holidays.
My 9mm stash is too low to include my favorite guns.
How sorely it has been missed.

There were only a few stalls in use, but one couple kept drawing the attention of the range marshall. They had no idea what they were doing. That may be the wave of the future with all the new panic owners now in this world.

I

iacountryboy

Didn't get to vote but all I have to spare for now is some milsurp 7.62x54R. Just happy I got a few cases of those befor things got crazy. I'm not complaining thats all I can shoot because my Mosins are a blast at the range. Hope the other stuff cuts loose soon.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Hasn't slowed down my shooting as much as the weather has. It has raised my irritation level when I hear guys that shoot 100 rounds a year say "I just scored 2000 rounds of 22 long rifle!"

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
I was on another forum and a new shooter was posting about how he picks up all the brass even though he doesn't own anything in those calibers or reloading gear.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Verticoli said:
I was on another forum and a new shooter was posting about how he picks up all the brass even though he doesn't own anything in those calibers or reloading gear.

A lot of people do that and give it to their friends that do reload.

I've noticed that at one of the ranges I go to, you are allowed to pick up your own brass, but not other people's. If they don't pick it up, then it belongs to the range.

I guess every place is different.