How hard is it to remove a gas block?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I found the perfect upper for my Mk12(ish) Mod 0 clone. I wanted something close to a MK12 Mod 0 that wouldnt break the bank.

I found this guy:
DPMS_18in_SST_MK12_-_YHM_5005_-_SRGB_3.jpg

How difficult will it be to replace the gas block with a flip up sight gas block? Will I need to remove anything other than the flash hider and gas block?

I'm just brain storming my SPR build. I may not even go this route. Aero Precision also has an 18" upper that I'm waiting to get back in stock.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I think Im just going to buy a complete upper receiver and just add what ever barrel assembly I want.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I can't tell from the picture, but that looks like it might be attached using set screws on the bottom of the gas block (only because I don't see taper pins on the sides of the block). Tell us a little more about the upper (maker, type, etc)- maybe the specs are available somewhere.

Set screws on the bottom of the block are pretty easy to remove. I did twist an allen wrench into a candy cane shape getting the gas block off a DPMS upper once though. Probably a harbor freight allen wrench, so take that with a grain of salt.

Taper pins are a little harder because I think the new gas block would have to be cut to match the existing barrel grooves- although you're probably supposed to cut the barrel too (I have no idea- I'm no armorer, but cutting to match makes sense).

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I can't tell from the picture, but that looks like it might be attached using set screws on the bottom of the gas block (only because I don't see taper pins on the sides of the block). Tell us a little more about the upper (maker, type, etc)- maybe the specs are available somewhere.

Set screws on the bottom of the block are pretty easy to remove. I did twist an allen wrench into a candy cane shape getting the gas block off a DPMS upper once though. Probably a harbor freight allen wrench, so take that with a grain of salt.

Taper pins are a little harder because I think the new gas block would have to be cut to match the existing barrel grooves- although you're probably supposed to cut the barrel too (I have no idea- I'm no armorer, but cutting to match makes sense).

Thanks for the info! I've decided to buy an assembled RRA Upper and just to have the barrel, hand guard, and gas block I want. This way I can get the parts I want, save a little money, and do an exact Mk12 Mod 0 clone. Also, it will be a lot easier to buy the parts piece by piece and just install them as I get it.

I dont really have room for a workshop but I found a C clamp vise that I can clamp on to a table. After watching a few videos, a barrel installation seems pretty easy. Hell, if this goes right I may even replace my 16" barrel on my M4 SOPMOD clone with a 14.5" w/pinned flash hider too.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
It has a railed gas block, why not just add a flip up sight of the appropriate height.