Home Defense shotgun

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
Does anyone else have a shotgun that they use for home defense, I am thinking about a shotgun like a 20 gauge or 12 gauge like a Stevens 12.

Just looking for feedback and ideas. I would like something other then my pistol for home defense for multiple people coming in if need be.

R

rayzer007

We have a Mossberg 500 series 20 ga ($300), loaded with #4 shot. Only has a 3 round capacity, but it's nice and small especially w/o the extra rubber shoulder stocks (if that is the correct term) attached.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
I've got a Remington Express 12 gauge. It has an 18-inch barrel. I keep it loaded with 00 buckshot. It's pretty stock, except I did polish the chamber, replaced the MIM extractor with a Volquartsen extractor, and replaced the cheesy orange plastic follower with a Nordic Teflon coated, aluminum, low drag follower. I'm pondering putting a light on it, but haven't decided yet.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
I have a 1963 Wingmaster that I saved from a pawnshop.......bad rusty. I refinished it and put an 18" barrel with a mag extension, she holds 6 +1 rounds of 00 buck.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Android%20pix%20194_zpsypg7xvl1.jpg

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Okay.....that finally worked.....wasn't the pic I wanted but so be it.
Rich, I didn't re-blue it, because it was rusted and scratched pretty deep. I can remove this finish at some time and do the full restoration. Besides, it was made the year my wife was born. Soooo, I intend to do it justice when I have time.
Looks a bit like a Marine Magnum.....
Android%20pix%20192_zpsm5qqgknh.jpg

R

rayzer007

Very, very nice job Aimless; you are a talented man!

Ray

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Thanks guys. It was a fun project for $80. I still plan to bring her back to a blued finish, the barrel exterior is not pitted too bad, and the receiver can be brought back to a nice finish I believe. The internals are all excellent as is the bore and the action is buttery smooth.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I have two nice 12ga shotguns. But for home defense I choose the 20ga. Did a ton of research before purchase, Surprisly how well the ballistics compare with the 12ga at close range. So much easier to shoot and very deadly. I bought a Mossberg 500 Flex. Another surprising result is how well you can do with a pistol grip. I have been training with one for months and have become very proficient. It is fast, easier to carry around the House, and darn accurate with training. The 20ga makes for a great home defense weapon.

Reactions: 3 people