Home defense ammo for shotguns

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Shotgun Ammo For Home Defense

Note see part two of that video as well, the link will be provided.

Also, I received my "Gun Test Magazine the other day and they tested a number of home defense shotguns. Ironically the low cost Savage/Stevens 350 got a top score of A. Cost less than $300.00. Not bad for home defense gun that you do not shoot that often.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Interesting review of self defense ammunition. For in house shooting at inside ranges of 10-12 yards I prefer Winchester 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz., 7 1/2 Shot shell, at 1200 f.p.s., it'll pattern into a 6-8" wide spread at that range. Using a Remington 870 Clone, the H&R Pardner Pump with an 18" Protector barrel, after a few practice sessions on the firing range it's adequate. The recoil is manageable and sight recovery in between rounds is not a problem.

R

rayzer007

Slowhand said:
Interesting review of self defense ammunition. For in house shooting at inside ranges of 10-12 yards I prefer Winchester 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz., 7 1/2 Shot shell, at 1200 f.p.s., it'll pattern into a 6-8" wide spread at that range. Using a Remington 870 Clone, the H&R Pardner Pump with an 18" Protector barrel, after a few practice sessions on the firing range it's adequate. The recoil is manageable and sight recovery in between rounds is not a problem.

What do you think of 20 ga #4 birdshot (2 3/4") for my wife's Mossberg in the house Bill?

Ray

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
rayzer007 said:
Slowhand said:

What do you think of 20 ga #4 birdshot (2 3/4") for my wife's Mossberg in the house Bill?

Ray

How proficient is she with it? How big is the inside target area? I learned combat technique tactics on a 12 gauge riot shotgun many moons ago. I can lean into a twelve gauge, with 00 Buck, pull the trigger, ride the recoil, rack that slide, pop another round in and let them rip. But when it comes to my 120 lb girlfriend or some other ladies I know. No way. I saw guys in the past that couldn't deal with it.

I step out the Master Bedroom, turn a corner and it's 15 yards down the hallway to the outer wall of my living room. So that the desired maximum effective range. Based upon the caliber, velocity of the round and shot size. That spread of 6-8 inches is all I want.

Loads of shooters make the mistake of buying too much of a gun for accurate handling in regaining sight of target for a second shot. Take a silhouette paper target and put a paper plate on it and run it down range and her pump some rounds into it and study the results. If she can pump 3 quick shots out and get them all on target that's a lot of lead even if it's a 20 gauge. I know several folks who keep a light weight like that around the house just for use by a petit spouse. It keeps things real simple.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob120.html

Here a great article on 20 Gauge Shotguns and consideration of them for home defense. Massad Ayoob explains it far better than I.

R

rayzer007

She is small and not very strong; the range would probably be 5 yds (small apt.). She was out shooting it a month back, and it shook her up to see that much power, but said she could do it if someone came through the window when she was alone.
That was a great article by Mas Ayoob - thanks, I missed that one!

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am a huge fan of the 20 gauge. I had the Saigas in 410, 20, and 12. The 12, which is the clear favorite, was my least favorite. Pretty nasty recoil if you were shooting a lot. I don't shoot as often as I like so when I do, I throw a lot of lead. The .410 is fun but light on lead and heavy on expense. The 20, which is the least favorite overall, is by far my favorite. Ammo is cheap and it throws plenty of lead with much lighter recoil. Consider me sold on the 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.