Hog hunters

Howard Law

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I go down to my dad's in Texas about every year to re-stock my freezer.

tysahana.jpg

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
he was a little over 270 and pretty lean so I did all sausage with him. Wish he hadn't lost his tusks so I could've put another nail in the coffin of my marriage by bringing home his head. (kidding. all is well at home.)
8ahe9ymu.jpg

I'm almost glad I don't live someplace that's getting over run by pigs. I'd never get anything done. The OP is lucky to have a target rich environment.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Hey hog hunters, does bacon and or sausage taste much different than the stuff in the store? I would guess so but I have never had it.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
in my experience, there's almost no bacon. they're extremely lean animals compared to their barnyard cousins. sausage tastes pretty much the same. the ham tastes a little different but is really good on hogs 75 pounds or less. loins taste pretty much the same as well. Ribs and bacon are not great though. just too lean.

T

TexasIII

yz9890, how much did that bad boy hanging next to you weigh?

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
TexasIII said:
Anybody out there like to hunt the bacon?

do you get a chance to hunt much? what rifle and caliber (or bow) do you normally use?

my dad goes a couple of times a month all year long. I kind of wish he wouldn't. he's getting a little older and is usually alone for a couple of days at a time. in fact, he was alone in the woods a few years ago when his appendix burst. and rural east Texas has notoriously crappy cell phone coverage.

T

TexasIII

We just moved from Utah to Texas. I'd really like to try my hand at this. My wife says I;m nuts for even thinking about it. All she sees is those big tusks :eek:

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
While I was living in Indiana a friend of mine belonged to a gun club that would put on a yearly benifit diner. They had various portions of meat donated by hunters. The wild boar was unlike any domestic pork I had ever encountered. All I can say is that it was awesome in flavor and texture, a cut above, way above.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
bigdogdaddy said:
I am itching to try hog hunting. I know I should not wish for this, but I do wish we had wild hogs in Indiana.

I know what you mean. They're amazingly destructive and a menace but fun to shoot and can taste great.

I wish we had a lobster infestation also.