Help with ammo with the primer seated incorrectly?

Howard Law

Rachie

Hunter
Feb 29, 2016
I just came across some ammo online in 9mm that apparently has some of the primers seated incorrectly (at wrong depths) https://ammomart.com/9mm-luger-legendary-ammo-115gr-irregular-lot-1000-rounds-warning-see-product-overview

I'm just wondering what the draw back to that would be? At .149 cents a round it would have to be affected by approximately 50% of the rounds for the usual price I pay for target ammo in stores. Meaning this stuff would essentially be half priced.

I just dont know if its safe, or if i should run it through any guns?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Without being able to follow the link here at work, I will say that incorrectly seated primers will cause issues with reliable detonation.  If the primer is not seated far enough, your firing pin won't strike with enough velocity, if it's seated too deep, your firing pin may not contact the primer, or hit with so little force as to be a light strike and not detonate.  Either one is likely not a true "safety" issue if that is all that is wrong with it, but I personally wouldn't waste my time buying ammo that I can't rely on to go bang.  Even if it is only 50%, not worth the hassle in my book. I wouldn't recommend it.

Rachie

Hunter
Feb 29, 2016
Without being able to follow the link here at work, I will say that incorrectly seated primers will cause issues with reliable detonation.  If the primer is not seated far enough, your firing pin won't strike with enough velocity, if it's seated too deep, your firing pin may not contact the primer, or hit with so little force as to be a light strike and not detonate.  Either one is likely not a true "safety" issue if that is all that is wrong with it, but I personally wouldn't waste my time buying ammo that I can't rely on to go bang.  Even if it is only 50%, not worth the hassle in my book. I wouldn't recommend it.

Okay thanks a lot. I guess thats a good point especially since i wont know what is good and bad until its being fired and just lead to a bunch of frustration.