Help putting together an AR lower

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Yeah... Try a LGS. Online has turned into that other site. (They that shall not be named)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My only hope would be AO, but those things are sold out everywhere. Next coolest long range "budget" rifle in stock is the MVP LR in 308 at AO for $700. :-(

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Build one. Let's meet up, you can shoot the Cobb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, baby on the way. Building one ain't gonna happen soon. lol

Hoping to trade off my M&P CORE 9L with some boot for a 30 cal+ setup or 6.5 (probably 308 just for factory ammo availability since I wont be able to reload all the time). Not looking so great though as I have tried to trade it off for a couple months now. Will stick with my budget 5.56 for now until a good trade works itself out.

Reactions: Shrek926

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
my must have tools are a nice set of roll pin punches, a brass or nylon hammer, needle nose pliers, correct hex keys (for the trigger guard), and the castle nut wrench.

automatic center punch helps in staking the castle nut (they come loose) and a thin, sharp knife helps to hold the front detent and spring down while you insert the takedown pin (a slave punch in the right diameter helps).

everything else is just "nice to have" and can help speed up the process. a vise, a lower block, roll pin starter punches, the specialized ar-15 wrench (armorers tool), slave punches, vise grips all fall into this category. if you're gonna assemble an upper too, you'll need some of these. I've done probably ten uppers and lowers.

my first lower took about an hour and a half. the last one I did took less than 20 minutes.

some things to consider...some lpks such as the cmmg kit are color coded and have a diagram to keep your pins, springs, and detents straight. some of the parts are easily confused.

also, if the hammer is easily held in place while you insert the pin, the spring is probably not oriented correctly. it needs tension to ensure adequate force when it strikes the firing pin. you're gonna have to fight that tension while aligning the pin.

there are some excellent resources that know much more than me about ar-15 assembly in this thread. if you get stuck, just ask.

good luck!