Help putting together an AR lower

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I found if you don't have a vise block you can use a metal mag and wrap it in some electrical tape for a snug fit if it is loose
Yep. I didn't want to possibly ruin a mag in a vice, so the first time I built one, I used a scrap piece of 2x4 and a band saw to make a receiver block from wood and painted it black. I bought an actual receiver block shortly after that, but the wood one worked just fine. I even chiseled a mag catch relief in it...lol

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
roll pin starter punches.

These are a great set to keep in your tool box. Once you have roll pin starter punches, you will always wonder how you went through life without them. Keeps your receiver from getting dumb ass marks too!

Again though, for driving in the roll pins fully, I highly recommend roll pin centering punches (the ones with the ball end). It will keep your punch from sliding off the pin and adding dumb ass marks to your receiver.

Reactions: Laces_Out_Marino

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
Yep. I didn't want to possibly ruin a mag in a vice, so the first time I built one, I used a scrap piece of 2x4 and a band saw to make a receiver block from wood and painted it black. I bought an actual receiver block shortly after that, but the wood one worked just fine. I even chiseled a mag catch relief in it...lol
I had a shitty metal mag and wrapped the end that goes in the vise in a towel so I didn't crush it

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
These are a great set to keep in your tool box. Once you have roll pin starter punches, you will always wonder how you went through life without them. Keeps your receiver from getting dumb ass marks too!

Again though, for driving in the roll pins fully, I highly recommend roll pin centering punches (the ones with the ball end). It will keep your punch from sliding off the pin and adding dumb ass marks to your receiver.
The obsidian set has the roll pin centering punches and the starter punches.

Reactions: Wallace

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
FWIW, I second the roll-pin starter punches, I did 3 lowers with no special tools, just a set of basic punches, pair of vise grips, angled needle-nosed pliers and an AR multi-tool. I didn't have any issues with the build, but wrapping the vise grips and plier tips in tape to avoid marring the receiver was extra hassle and time.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Yeah, needed some mindless entertainment. 1750 rounds loaded for the girls and my eyes are crossing. I've had to split my time between getting them to the range, and helping the family deal with the loss of my grandmother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wallace

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Yeah, needed some mindless entertainment. 1750 rounds loaded for the girls and my eyes are crossing. I've had to split my time between getting them to the range, and helping the family deal with the loss of my grandmother.

Yeah man, sorry to hear about your loss. :-( Sucks to hear that.

If you free Wednesday, I might be out for the 500 yard day at the range. Finally took some time off of work. Need to work up some 69 or 80 gr loads for my 20" setup.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Yeah man, sorry to hear about your loss. :-( Sucks to hear that.

If you free Wednesday, I might be out for the 500 yard day at the range. Finally took some time off of work. Need to work up some 69 or 80 gr loads for my 20" setup.
I'll try to get free, always nice to get out to the range.

On a separate note, a lot of these specialized tools are to fleece the overzealous. I've put an AR together in a Tahoe on the way back from a gunshow in Gwinnett and shot it when we got to Cartersville.

Reactions: boss_hawg

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I'll try to get free, always nice to get out to the range.

On a separate note, a lot of these specialized tools are to fleece the overzealous. I've put an AR together in a Tahoe on the way back from a gunshow in Gwinnett and shot it when we got to Cartersville.

Yes, but the GRR, extended roll pin starter punch, and ball end punches, starter punches, receiver blocks, do make life soooooo much nicer and so much less likely to fuck up stuff.

As you know, I was able to put together AR's from basically Macgyver tools, doesn't mean I want to do it that way every time. Then again, I LOVE nice tools and clean builds.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Yes, but the GRR, extended roll pin starter punch, and ball end punches, starter punches, receiver blocks, do make life soooooo much nicer and so much less likely to fuck up stuff.

As you know, I was able to put together AR's from basically Macgyver tools, doesn't mean I want to do it that way every time. Then again, I LOVE nice tools and clean builds.
But you also iron and starch your boxers and socks.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
@Shrek926 Another note, several Ruger Precisoin Rifle on Gunbroker in 6.5 creedmore right now. Of course they have too many bids, but is a sweet setups for sure!

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
@Shrek926 Another note, several Ruger Precisoin Rifle on Gunbroker in 6.5 creedmore right now. Of course they have too many bids, but is a sweet setups for sure!
Someone who's opinion I trust had great things to say about those. Too rich for my blood, but great rifle.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Someone who's opinion I trust had great things to say about those. Too rich for my blood, but great rifle.

They are a tad expensive, but compared to a nice bolt rifle in a quality chassis, they are not that expensivel. Hell, ODT just had one in 308 sell under $1,300. Would love to get one in 308 or 6.5 and get a nice optic to see how they do. Once they are out for a while, i hope they get down to the $1K mark, that would make them a great value!

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
They are a tad expensive, but compared to a nice bolt rifle in a quality chassis, they are not that expensivel. Hell, ODT just had one in 308 sell under $1,300. Would love to get one in 308 or 6.5 and get a nice optic to see how they do. Once they are out for a while, i hope they get down to the $1K mark, that would make them a great value!
They sell regularly for $1050-$1100, cost is south of $1,000

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
They sell regularly for $1050-$1100, cost is south of $1,000

Maybe, but not on GB, ODT, or here....

Yeah, if cost is anything like Savage rifles are, I bet its well below $1K. That 110BA in 338 LM, was only $1,400 when the shop was still open...still kick myself for not ordering it.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Yeah... Try a LGS. Online has turned into that other site. (They that shall not be named)