Help, I Loaded The Wrong Ammo (.380 Into 9mm) In My Gun, Don't Know What To Do...

GA Firing Line

HiPointer

Boom, Got my CCW pistol finall!
Feb 17, 2016
Can anyone advise me what I should do, I was shooting some ammo i found from one of my old guns, but I forgot it was in .380 and I loaded it in to my 9mm. It jammed up a lot, was a bunch of smoke in my face once or twice and a lot of the time it wouldn't eject properly, I just figured i loaded some old dirty amounition or something.

have i ruined my gun?

HiPointer

Feb 17, 2016
yeah, i know i just figured it'd be okay since the .380 round is really close to the 9mm.

D

David

[QUOTE="HiPointer]yeah, i know i just figured it'd be okay since the .380 round is really close to the 9mm.

[/QUOTE]
My suggestion is to inspect everything. I doubt anything got damaged but there is only one way to be sure. If you see cracks or broke parts take your gun in somewhere for repair, do not try to repair anything by yourself.

In the future only load the caliber your gun is made for.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="HiPointer]yeah, i know i just figured it'd be okay since the .380 round is really close to the 9mm.

[/QUOTE]
Are you screwing with us? :eek:

D

David

[QUOTE="Dirtbike]Are you screwing with us? :eek:

[/QUOTE]
I don't know, I can't tell. Like I do not want to believe it, but after asking if setting off 20lbs of tannerite was a good idea I kind of believe it.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
smh..........I knew a guy that blew off over 20lbs one time, he said he could feel the concussion from almost 200yds out..... not exactly what I would recommend doing; it all goes hand in hand with proper responsibility, hopefully he comes along and clears this up as I really wanna laugh as I'm finding it almost unbelievable.........

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016

[/QUOTE]
If you truly thought that, put down your guns, and go get some proper training before shooting again. And I don't mean defensive training. Take the NRA's basic pistol course to learn the basics of how pistols work and safe handling. Thinking a round will be okay since it's "really close" to another round is a really bad mistake and is a failure of firearms 101. I don't mean to be harsh, but we are talking about potentially seriously harming or killing yourself or someone else. This is serious business.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
At least read that thing called the owners manual!

....maybe a harsh initial response, but guns are not something to be half assed. A mistake with one can get you or someone else killed. Take the extra time to learn what you need to know to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
To your original question. No you did not harm the gun. Your bullet diameters are the same you case is just shorter. So when you fired it that round had to jump farther than usual to get into the rifling of the barrel. This is not an issue as revolvers have a huge amount of jump from cylinder to rifling. The reason you got the smoke was due to the fact that the 380 case did not seal the chamber properly and you had some gas blow back. The ejection issue was due to the fact that since the chamber did not seal the blow back system did not have the pressure to function properly. Also with the case being shorter it wasn't head spaced properly so the rim was possibly sitting deeper than what it should have been.

Just clean the pistol up and you will be good to go.

HiPointer

Feb 17, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]If you truly thought that, put down your guns, and go get some proper training before shooting again. And I don't mean defensive training. Take the NRA's basic pistol course to learn the basics of how pistols work and safe handling. Thinking a round will be okay since it's "really close" to another round is a really bad mistake and is a failure of firearms 101. I don't mean to be harsh, but we are talking about potentially seriously harming or killing yourself or someone else. This is serious business.

[/QUOTE]
Where can i find one of those? It was an honest mistake after having a few beers with some buddies while shooting in the country. can i just call the NRA to find one?

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone, glad to know my gun is probably okay.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
Ok I gotta weigh in again. .......I'm sorry man "after a few beers"! Shooting after drinking is as fucked up as chocolate cheese. ........mistakes happen and I get that and don't get me wrong I love my beer but never before or during. .... I just had a conversation about something just like this regarding firearms safety and responsibility........

D

David

[QUOTE="HiPointer]Where can i find one of those? It was an honest mistake after having a few beers with some buddies while shooting in the country. can i just call the NRA to find one?
Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone, glad to know my gun is probably okay.

[/QUOTE]
You should probably really evaluate your decisions in the future man. I'm talking like really just sit back (preferably without alcohol) and think if you're ready to own a firearm and the responsibilities that come with it.

Everyone is new at some point and mistakes get made, but mixing alcohol and firearms is a really terrible idea and there is no way around that. It's honestly down right ignorant to be honest with you.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
You can go to nrainstructors.org and there will be an option at the very top of the page to "find a course near you". Select that and you can search for all kinds of classes taught by nra instructors.

Hawkeye

Hunter
Feb 8, 2016
Maaaaaaaaaaan I dont even know what to say to this stuff right here. Its eihter terrible trolling by your part or come on, no way someone is this dumb