Hearing protection

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I don't think anybody's brought up a discussion about hearing protection here, so I would like to start one. For my entire working career (39 years as a control systems contractor in industrial factories), I was exposed to dangerous noise levels. I always used hearing protection in the noisy environments.

In my career, I had the opportunity to try out a variety of hearing protection equipment. In recent years, I've found that the Peltor (now 3M) headphone/muff style protectors block more noise than any other muff style protectors that I had available in the old days. Some of the foam ear plugs, particularly the Pura-Fit 6900 by Moldex, worked well in industrial environments but I've found that even these plugs are not truly adequate, by themselves, for shooting situations.

The absolute best hearing protector that I've ever had the opportunity to use is the 3M Peltor SV Tactical hearing protector. Many less expensive electronic hearing protectors do not block as much of the loud sound as this one does due to either the design of the sound-blocking material or the timing of the electronics shutdown when a firearm is fired. This one allows me - with my older ears - to hear ambient sounds actually better than with my naked ears while blocking the loud sounds as well as the best non-electronic hearing protectors that I have found. I use mine in my shop as well as on the range.

Combining the SV Tactical hearing protector with the Pura-Fit foam plugs is the best combination and is what I usually use on the range these days.

For a lower cost solution than the SV Tactical, I highly recommend the 3M Peltor Optime 105 muff. These are available for as low as $20 or so in local stores. Of course, this does not have the electronic system to enable better hearing of ambient sounds but it's superb for protection against ear- damaging noise levels.

Price should be no barrier to getting the best protection possible. Performance should be the only consideration when choosing hearing protection. The performance is so critically important.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I have not used the ones that Skip uses but they sound like a great set. I have the Caldwell Low Profile electronic ear protectors and I really like them. When I bought my first set I liked them so well I gave them to my reloading mentor and bought me another set. The noise cancelling even activates when I release the slide on my handguns. I bought them at opticsplanet because with a fairly small purchase they have free shipping.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I have the set like bigdogdaddy's. Just wanted to add that Caldwell is Battenfield Technologies. My headset took a dive on me a while back and I just emailed them and ask if there was anything I could do to get them working again and their return email simply said to "field destroy" them and they will send me a new pair, no questions asked. They didn't ask for proof that I own a set for sure. Five days later a new set arrived. So you get great customer service with the Caldwell as well as a decent pair of hearing protection. I have the low profile set.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Gwgw60 said:
SkipD, what price range is the electronic model you referred to?
If you click on the link in my post, you'll see the price at Amazon. I have not checked other sources lately as I bought my set about a year ago.