Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data

Howard Law

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I read that when it first came out and was surprised by a few rounds.

In 9mm:
-The Barnes 115 gr TAC-XPD +P was surprisingly consistent in opening and penetration
-Both of the non 80 grain Corbons as well
-It appears that 147 grain and up is far too heavy for a regular load, and unable to open consistently, or at all... Even the 135 grains that are not a +P have trouble expanding. (Federal 150 gr Micro HST ***NEW*** being the outliar with 5 for 5 opening and expanding nicely.)
-The Federal HST 124 grain are very impressive at .61" avg and 100% of them expanded and went about 18" in
-The Hornady Critical Duty 135 grains were weird because the non +P averaged a deeper penetration than the +P
-L O L at Liberty 50 grain !
-PNW Arms 115 gr Tac Ops SCHP Ive never heard of but were VERY consistent in opening, expansion, and penetration
-Winchester 124 gr Ranger T-Series +P surprised me big time. 124 grains +P seem to typically be the hot tip, but these things didnt expand for shit... Hard pass for me.

What I took from this is that a middle of the road weight with a middle to high velocity is key. Too light and there is no momentum, too heavy and they have a hard time expanding properly, too slow and there is a lack of penetration and again trouble opening and expanding, too fast and were back to trouble opening and expanding. It appears that about a 124gr +P is ideal in this caliber. I didnt care to read about the other calibers...

Reactions: Jake and Cudruln

cbh13

Millennial Supreme
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Auburn
Zip code
I read that when it first came out and was surprised by a few rounds.

In 9mm:
-The Barnes 115 gr TAC-XPD +P was surprisingly consistent in opening and penetration
-Both of the non 80 grain Corbons as well
-It appears that 147 grain and up is far too heavy for a regular load, and unable to open consistently, or at all... Even the 135 grains that are not a +P have trouble expanding. (Federal 150 gr Micro HST ***NEW*** being the outliar with 5 for 5 opening and expanding nicely.)
-The Federal HST 124 grain are very impressive at .61" avg and 100% of them expanded and went about 18" in
-The Hornady Critical Duty 135 grains were weird because the non +P averaged a deeper penetration than the +P
-L O L at Liberty 50 grain !
-PNW Arms 115 gr Tac Ops SCHP Ive never heard of but were VERY consistent in opening, expansion, and penetration
-Winchester 124 gr Ranger T-Series +P surprised me big time. 124 grains +P seem to typically be the hot tip, but these things didnt expand for shit... Hard pass for me.

What I took from this is that a middle of the road weight with a middle to high velocity is key. Too light and there is no momentum, too heavy and they have a hard time expanding properly, too slow and there is a lack of penetration and again trouble opening and expanding, too fast and were back to trouble opening and expanding. It appears that about a 124gr +P is ideal in this caliber. I didnt care to read about the other calibers...

yup lots of interesting info. I was also surprised by those barnes rounds they appeared to do very well. It really just reaffirmed my love for the 124 +p golden sabers which did very well with consistent expansion, makes me happy to have a stock pile and not need to look for something new. I think the hornady issue had to do with as the +p ones were hitting harder they opened up quicker, slowing it down and preventing further penetration

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
little surprised by the 147gr hydra shocks but they werent alone as leshaire mentioned. Liked the critical defense

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The test has great data that I will definitely reference when looking at carry ammo, but there is additional criteria you'll need before making a final decision.

For me the additional criteria I'll look at are, in order of importance:
1. Reliable in the weapon I will use it in
2. Flash retardant powder. I don't just go by the manufacturer's statement, I take it out and shoot it at night. There is no industry standard or specifications to meet to declare a load "flash retardant", so some companies' loads are much brighter than others.
3. Reasonably accurate in the weapon I will use it in.

Reactions: Jake

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
I've always purchased 124gr for SD in my 9s. I've never gone full maximum loading as I always consider velocity out of a 4" barrel. My personal choice, and has been for years, is Remington Golden Saber Bonded, now commercially known as "Remington Ultimate Defense".

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Doctor Gary Roberts has done much more work on this subject and is the leading expert in duty ammo performance and terminal ballistics. I'd put much more faith in his findings than luckygunner. There's nothing wrong with them doing a test like this, per se, but when it comes to actually depending on the ammo, Doc Roberts testing is the culmination of a lifetime in real world application & scientific analysis. But there are a few loads here that overlap with his recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jake

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Doctor Gary Roberts has done much more work on this subject and is the leading expert in duty ammo performance and terminal ballistics. I'd put much more faith in his findings than luckygunner. There's nothing wrong with them doing a test like this, per se, but when it comes to actually depending on the ammo, Doc Roberts testing is the culmination of a lifetime in real world application & scientific analysis. But there are a few loads here that overlap with his recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to some of his testing? I could Google it I guess but I'm lazy.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I'd have to Google it. It's hosted around the web on a few sites like Lightfighter, m4carbine.net and weapon evolution. Basically, loads like the HST, RangerT, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, Barnes, fall into the ideal category. But that can also vary depending on the bullet weight. For example, Ranger T 147gr performs better than 124 and different critical defense loads do well while others sorta suck. Luckygunner showed similar results. The general criteria are weight retention, integrity of the bullet after firing, expansion and penetration within the defined limits (not too deep & and not too shallow. Also, his tests follow the FBI criteria because his work is focused on federal and local law enforcement agencies. So, his recommendations are based on the above factors, across all barrier types. If one does well through denim, but poorly throughout wallboard and auto glass, it will be low on the recommended list.

In today's world of carjackings and home invasions, I think those are applicable for civilians too and not just LE.

ETA: Google Dr. Gary Roberts or Roberts & Fackler + terminal ballistics

Last edited:

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
yup lots of interesting info. I was also surprised by those barnes rounds they appeared to do very well. It really just reaffirmed my love for the 124 +p golden sabers which did very well with consistent expansion, makes me happy to have a stock pile and not need to look for something new. I think the hornady issue had to do with as the +p ones were hitting harder they opened up quicker, slowing it down and preventing further penetration
The bonded Golden Sabre is a much better bullet than the old Golden Sabre (still available). The original GS has a tendency to shed its jacket.