Handgun advice

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
My half brother is looking to make a new gun purchase here soon. He is looking at either the sig sauer p238 or the p938. His biggest concern is ultimate concealment because of his line of work. One of his buddies said the 9 was terrible with recoil. So here I am turning to yall to see what some opinions are.

Also if there is another brand firearm that may be suggested throw it out there.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Bought a lc9 couple years ago. Had terrible recoil. How small a gun does he need?

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I'll sell my nano. I'm buying a larger new coach purse this weekend and I'm going back to carrying my G21.

Reactions: Para13ellum

Para13ellum

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
I carry a Glock42 for deep concealment and a 19 for EDC. That being said, I just put several rounds through a Ruger LC9 and was very impressed. For the money, it's hard to beat. Kahr makes an excellent pistol too. The CW line is economical.
I do love Sig but, damn, they are proud of them.

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I carry a Glock42 for deep concealment and a 19 for EDC. That being said, I just put several rounds through a Ruger LC9 and was very impressed. For the money, it's hard to beat. Kahr makes an excellent pistol too. The CW line is economical.
I do love Sig but, damn, they are proud of them.
I couldn't stand my lc9. Carried it for about a year. Then shot it. Hated it sold it to a ga state trooper!

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
For a small concealed gun, I would consider a S&W Shield. I'm a Glock fanboy, but the Shield is a great concealable sub-compact gun in 9mm. I wouldn't trust my life to a .380 unless you can seriously work on shot placement under stress.

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
For a small concealed gun, I would consider a S&W Shield. I'm a Glock fanboy, but the Shield is a great concealable sub-compact gun in 9mm. I wouldn't trust my life to a .380 unless you can seriously work on shot placement under stress.

I agree about the .380 .....too small for me.

I never liked any of the S&W semi's .....doesnt seem to fit right ergonomically.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Bought a lc9 couple years ago. Had terrible recoil. How small a gun does he need?
He is looking to be able to carry comfortably under a suit. But like stated concealment is the biggest key for him.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

This. The Shield 9 is the perfect sub compact for conceal carry. I too am a Glock fanatic but I carry a shield when I absolutely cannot be seen with a gun. Get a good IWB that rides low or carry it appendix and you can't print if you tried.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I did recommend the shield to him. I like the way it handles and it is very concealable.

Reactions: dougiemac

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
This. The Shield 9 is the perfect sub compact for conceal carry. I too am a Glock fanatic but I carry a shield when I absolutely cannot be seen with a gun. Get a good IWB that rides low or carry it appendix and you can't print if you tried.
Tell that to my wife. She seems to have the hardest time with concealment of her shield. But it probably doesn't help she is always trying to wear clothes that are not good for concealment.

Para13ellum

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
I have no issues with .380
I bought the 42 before the 43 was announced or I would have went with it, only because I already have several 9mm.

My shooting coach always told me that the best gun to bring to a gun fight is the one you have with you. Damn sure better than not having anything.
I've worn my little rocket in a tuckable holster with my suit more than once and I'm sure I'll do it again.
Pocket rockets are always gonna have more recoil. Shield, Kahr pm/cm 9, LC9, 238/938, are all more than adequate for his needs. It all depends on how much coin he wants to drop.
I would NOT recommend a Glock for a newbie.

Reactions: Cudruln

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have a S&W Shield in 9mm and the recoil is not that bad. It carries well (appendix carry) for extended periods. A very underrated pistol is the Makarov PA-63. I had one of these for years and it is a very sweet gun to shoot. It has a fixed barrel and a very good copy of the Walther PPK. Hornady makes a great defensive round for it and it is 7+1 for capacity. These pistols are rare and even so, are usually had for about 200$ or so. I sold mine to a friend who was purchasing their first pistol and miss it every day.

Reactions: Cudruln