H.b. 235

GA Firing Line

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I should add that although I think this is a good deal it shouldn't negate the individuals responsibility to be properly trained.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David

I can't believe this isn't already law and more common sense approach. But at least someone is taking some initiative on it to try to get it done.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="David]I can't believe this isn't already law and more common sense approach. But at least someone is taking some initiative on it to try to get it done.

[/QUOTE]
Agreed, as with so many other "rights" that we pay for its all about money, this however is a nice departure and good to see. I'm kinda curious to see the yeas and nays on this and see who voted which way

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
While I agree with the waiving of fees, I don't necessarily agree that evidence of service is proof of competency. As a Veteran and current firearms instructor I can tell you first hand that the military does a extremely poor job of training soldier on the M9. SOCOM units aside, MP's get more training than most, but even units like 1-505PIR, 3 BCT, 82ABN (my former BN and Tier 3 GRF unit) are terrible about M9 training. The M4 is their primary and that is what they train. To believe that showing proof of service (even if you never carried or qualified on an M9) is the same as showing competency is a mistake. This also doesn't take into account that shooting is only part of having a CCW permit. The legal aspects and justification for the use of deadly force are as important as ones ability to shoot. And the military isn't teaching Ohio specific carry laws! ROE in Iraq and Afghanistan isn't the same as in Ohio.

In my opinion that's not much different than the many civilians that get their permit by taking the extreme bare minimum classes...some power point and 30rds on a pie plate. They are likely ill equipped to carry and truly have the skills and means necessary to defend/protect themselves or loved ones. It is all of our responsibilities to attend quality training, but unfortunately way too many people will never pursue that training once the permit is in their hand. They see that piece of plastic as the A-OK to go forth and carry.

Waive the fee, but make them get training. Just the opinion of one man.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]While I agree with the waiving of fees, I don't necessarily agree that evidence of service is proof of competency. As a Veteran and current firearms instructor I can tell you first hand that the military does a extremely poor job of training soldier on the M9. SOCOM units aside, MP's get more training than most, but even units like 1-505PIR, 3 BCT, 82ABN (my former BN and Tier 3 GRF unit) are terrible about M9 training. The M4 is their primary and that is what they train. To believe that showing proof of service (even if you never carried or qualified on an M9) is the same as showing competency is a mistake. This also doesn't take into account that shooting is only part of having a CCW permit. The legal aspects and justification for the use of deadly force are as important as ones ability to shoot. And the military isn't teaching Ohio specific carry laws! ROE in Iraq and Afghanistan isn't the same as in Ohio.
In my opinion that's not much different than the many civilians that get their permit by taking the extreme bare minimum classes...some power point and 30rds on a pie plate. They are likely ill equipped to carry and truly have the skills and means necessary to defend/protect themselves or loved ones. It is all of our responsibilities to attend quality training, but unfortunately way too many people will never pursue that training once the permit is in their hand. They see that piece of plastic as the A-OK to go forth and carry.

Waive the fee, but make them get training. Just the opinion of one man.

[/QUOTE]
Agreed on the training portion, lots more to it than reading the ORC. Admittedly is been quite some years since I've been through a class. I do lots of practicing and reading to keep current on the laws and belive that others should do the same as well, it's a great responsibility to carry a firearm.

Edit: not to mention the proper training should include more than just getting out on the range, people should be aware of the legalities of discharging their firearm, the psychological effects, and the smartest move in my mind; if you can evade the threat by running or de-escalatinon that's always going to be your best bet

Last edited by a moderator:

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
[QUOTE="Dirtbike]Agreed on the training portion, lots more to it than reading the ORC. Admittedly is been quite some years since I've been through a class. I do lots of practicing and reading to keep current on the laws and belive that others should do the same as well, it's a great responsibility to carry a firearm.
Edit: not to mention the proper training should include more than just getting out on the range, people should be aware of the legalities of discharging their firearm, the psychological effects, and the smartest move in my mind; if you can evade the threat by running or de-escalatinon that's always going to be your best bet

[/QUOTE]
You have probably heard the adage “Every bullet comes with a lawyer attached.”