Gun adoption

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Over the past few years, I've stumbled across a few odd and obscure guns. I purchased a 6.5 Carcano sporterized (Bubba'd) and a Stevens 124 cross-bolt repeater 12 ga. shotgun. Bought the pair for $40. Not sure if they were worth it, but fun to tinker with. Bought a few neglected Rem 870's cheap that were fun to restore and/or modify.

Yesterday, a friend asked if I'd help repair a Hiawatha 12 ga. semi-auto. Seems to be a mid 1950's sold from Skogmo-Gambles and apparently made by High Standard.....J.C.Higgins.....not much info on the Hiawatha. From what I can make of it, this may very well be the gun that coined the term "jam-o-matic". Wow, it is quite a piece of work......and not in a good way. The research that I've done leads me to believe that it is a High Standard Supermatic Deluxe C1200. The action bar is broken, and nearly took an eye out back in the day (a lefty was shooting it) and it was tossed in a pile. Not sure if I can find parts, or even if I want to. I checked Numrich, and the part was $9.50 in the early 60's, but now is $90.75 and sold out. Looks like a scary proposition.

What do you guys think? Part it out or try to make it a shooter?

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I would like to see some pictures of it.
I used to do a lot of projects like that and make pieces and hardened them.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
I don't have any pix yet of the Hiawatha, but I've been trying to post a couple of pictures of an 870 project I did just to figure it out. Not having any luck. Will have to corner one of my boys to help. My pictures are too large, I think.....1.2 MB. I'm getting one of those headaches.......

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Thanks Rich. I was able to transfer some pictures from my android phone to my laptop (that was an accomplishment in itself), then trying to load pictures directly from my files. Will give photobucket a try this evening. I assume that will re-size the pix to the proper size? I've been wanting to post photos for a long time, so this is the nudge I need. Old dog, new trick.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you have pictures on your phone you should be able to transfer them directly by using Taptalk.
Tap talk is a program I have on my phone that can bring up the gun forums in a real nice format and easy to use.
I will bring up a picture from my phone using Taptalk to show you what it looks like.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Rich, you make it sound easy, and I'm sure it is. My 1st experience with Tapatalk ended badly....uninstalled it....I'll try again later (my android is only recently my friend). Photobucket account started. I'll need to have one of my sons give assistance. I get along ok with my computer, but this stretches my abilities. Not givin' up yet tho. Thanks