Grab bars for bathroom

American Revival Apparel Company

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Since quite a few of us have some years behind us, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the good quality brand names of bathroom grab bars would be. There are quite a few brands available on the web but I don't know how to weed out the good ones from the junkers. We're particularly interested in 1-1/2" diameter bars (18" and 42" long) finished in white (but brushed stainless would be OK as well).

Danke in advance....

M

mukwah

Got me Skip, good question! I would google it first and then look at Home Depot and Lowes, compare prices and check out quality. You might also check some of the Medical Supply places in your area. :-\

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Find a plumber that you trust an get their suggestion. They install them all the time and should know which ones are good.

number2son

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
California
I use the Franklin Brass ones offered by The Home Depot. You might want to see how slippery the surface is when your hands are wet. The ones that are engraved seem to provide a better gripping surface. I feel more secure with it.

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
I've installed quite a few of these and don't remember any brand names, but I like the ones that have a rotating flange so you can align with the studs the best possible.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I found out that one manufacturer - Liberty Hardware - makes grab bars with a number of brand names. Their brand names include Franklin Brass, Safety First, Delta, Centurion, and others. I talked for a while with their Customer Service and concluded that virtually all of the brands come off the same production line and are essentially identical (except for advertised feature differences).

We chose to buy the Safety First bars because Amazon had them for 1/2 the price of the other lines and, of course, the knowledge that I passed on above. We'll be receiving them in about three days. When I get them and then when I have them installed I'll let y'all know what I think of the product.

We found that the product at Home Depot isn't necessarily what they are showing with their demo board. There have been changes in the Glacier Bay product that we didn't care for. Make sure you compare what's in the boxes with what's displayed for you to touch.