Good optic for a PS90

GA Firing Line

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
So I picked up a PS90 today and was wondering what a good optic for it would be. I think a nice red dot should do, but I'm looking for something with a small profile and doesn't take up a bunch of space. This is more of a defensive weapon than a long range one so I won't need anything with magnification and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
If you're looking for small, I'd look for one of the quality mini red dot sights (MRDS).  Something like the Trijicon RMR, Leupold Deltapoint, or Burris FastFire 3.  The mini reflex sights are small and unobtrusive.  They keep the line of sight for aiming relatively low to the bore as well.  If you like the "tube" style sights I love my Aimpoint T-1.  Anything with a 2 MOA dot will be small enough to give you decent accuracy even out to 300 meters.  Not real up on the ballistics of 5.7x28, so not sure on the max effective range for it.  If you're going for a budget sight, my brother has been using a Primary Arms mini red dot (similar to the T-1) and it has performed flawlessly.  Pretty impressive for a sub $100 optic.

PS - I ran a DeltaPoint as a slide ride optic on a handgun I had done by Bowie Tactical Concepts, and while a great optic the triangel was 7.5 MOA.  Great for close range use and decent if you zeroed for point of impact on the very tip of the triangle, but not sure how much I would like using it on a long gun.  Just my 2 cents.

Bills Guns

Hunter
Aug 24, 2016
I think 300 yards maybe stretching the limitations of the 5.7 rounds effective range, it may even exceed it. I agree with @Chris Timmerman other recommendations though. The Trijicon RMR would be my first choice, followed probably with a Vortex Venom and then the Burris FastFire 3.

I think Burris was even having a deal if you buy one of their better optics they were throwing in a fastfire for free. I cant remember the exact details of it, but maybe worth checking out.

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
I wanted to shoot it so I stopped over at basspro and picked up a EOTech 512 yesterday. I was hoping to find something cheaper in stock but unfortunately the options there were really limited. Anyway, $500 later and I don't think it would be more disappointed with a $500 optic.

First, its rather large, not ideal for this application. Secondly, possibly its more of an operator problem, but it took about 75 rounds to get dialed in at 100 yards, i've been able to get optics sighted in with way less shots in the past, but again this is my first EOTech so it could have just been me. Lastly, I don't think it's worth the $500+ price tag. Battery life isn't rated that high, but I understand this is from the power it takes to get the reticle going just other ones offer like 50,000 hours compared to the EOTechs 1,000. Def not what I was looking for so its going back.

Ordered a Vortex Razor to test out and if that doesn't work I plan on checking out the Vortex Venom, and then going from there I suppose :D

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Eotech's are hit or miss. Some work well, others not at all. I've seen more than a few fail during rifle classes. I have always found Aimpoint to be a better option. I have several Vortex scopes and love them. If their red dots are as good they should work well. Hope you find what you are after!

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I love the "idea" of the ps90, but I'll never understand why someone would built a CQB gun with 4 inches of sight offset above the barrel. The angle of sight line is so steep you're basically only accurate at a single distance.