Going off grid with solar power.

American Revival Apparel Company

Bypass

Arrrgghh!!! I'm a pirate.
Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
I am thinking about installing or I should say having installed a solar power system to take my home off the power grid. Has anyone done this? If so how much does a system like this normally run to go completely off grid? Having my power on when the rest of the planet is in darkness just seems like a fun idea to me. ;)

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
The first thing I would do is, Get off the grid, move to a more isolated place..I live in such a place, stream with unbelievable water, well, and Solar will be next..I understand how you feel, but when and if it goes dark, you need a dependable property. Also consider, a small wind turbine, if it goes dark batteries only last so long..I don't ever think the wind will stop.

Reactions: Bypass

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I am thinking about installing or I should say having installed a solar power system to take my home off the power grid. Has anyone done this? If so how much does a system like this normally run to go completely off grid? Having my power on when the rest of the planet is in darkness just seems like a fun idea to me. ;)

I've looked into it and I'm planning to do the same. To be self sufficient and not go without, you will spend 20-30k after government tax breaks "corporate welfare". A good generator is a necessity if you don't tie in the grid because the batteries are not advanced enough yet. By the time you have to change your batteries they will be advanced enough and the generator will not be so important.

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
The first thing I would do is, Get off the grid, move to a more isolated place..I live in such a place, stream with unbelievable water, well, and Solar will be next..I understand how you feel, but when and if it goes dark, you need a dependable property. Also consider, a small wind turbine, if it goes dark batteries only last so long..I don't ever think the wind will stop.
I like where I am at at the moment. Got a pool and a 6500 gallon KOI pond so water is not a issue. Right now I feel like my neighbors have my back right up until the point where they don't at which time that will be dealt with.

I am going to look into all options to maintain power at all times wind and solar at least.

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
I've looked into it and I'm planning to do the same. To be self sufficient and not go without, you will spend 20-30k after government tax breaks "corporate welfare". A good generator is a necessity if you don't tie in the grid because the batteries are not advanced enough yet. By the time you have to change your batteries they will be advanced enough and the generator will not be so important.
Right on, I am paying 350 a month for power right now and I would love to get rid of the power company because I know it will only go up in the future.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I like where I am at at the moment. Got a pool and a 6500 gallon KOI pond so water is not a issue. Right now I feel like my neighbors have my back right up until the point where they don't at which time that will be dealt with.

I am going to look into all options to maintain power at all times wind and solar at least.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm in the same thinking as DD. Right now I have 2.5 acres but I'm planning on selling and going a little farther out. I want 50 acres and a pond. Then I'll put my time, effort, and money into making it a self sustaining paradise.

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
I have 8 acres up here 1/4 mile driveway to Chatsworth hwy IE: 52. Stream run through part of it, and has big boulders..The Basement with Garage has 18 inches of re-enforced concrete..Solar is my next move with wind also..I have the remote electric start Genny..I keep 40 gal of Ethanol free treated gas on hand.I am going to convert to propane, and get a 200 gal tank.But really doesn't matter..With my health the way it is, if I don't receive my meds from the VA it is a mute point..You can piss and moan all day or, live life to the fullest as I do..

Reactions: karlvv and Bypass

Bypass

Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
I have 8 acres up here 1/4 mile driveway to Chatsworth hwy IE: 52. Stream run through part of it, and has big boulders..The Basement with Garage has 18 inches of re-enforced concrete..Solar is my next move with wind also..I have the remote electric start Genny..I keep 40 gal of Ethanol free treated gas on hand.I am going to convert to propane, and get a 200 gal tank.But really doesn't matter..With my health the way it is, if I don't receive my meds from the VA it is a mute point..You can piss and moan all day or, live life to the fullest as I do..
Yeah brother. That's the plan. I wouldn't make it more than a month without my VA meds. So it is probably all a moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dinky Dau

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Neighbor is having a 8 kw setup installed. 23,000

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Right on, I am paying 350 a month for power right now and I would love to get rid of the power company because I know it will only go up in the future.

holy shit, u total electric? During summer we are and bill is only 120.00. AC and electric water heater. 2 fridges etc