Glock Generation 5 News

Howard Law

JustinS

Customized Title
Jan 31, 2016
Anyone know anything about the future plans for the next generation of glock guns? I like the gen4 but was wondering if I should wait before i buy another new one?

D

David

I honest do not have a clue about any plans or references to a gen 5 glock. I'm not even sure what they'd improve upon at this point without major redesigns, and their current design seems to be a pretty big hit with its users so your guess is as good as mine.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
A good friend of mine is a full time Glock Master Trainer and hasn't even hinted at a Gen 5 at this point. I have 4 different Gen 4 guns and absolutely love them! I hated how a Glock felt in my hands until I picked up a Gen 4. It's worth getting now. Good Luck!

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Is there that big of a difference gen 3 vs gen4? I guess I really haven't payed much attention lol, I tend to work the grips on my gen 3's a bit to fit my hand better (shave the back strap a couple of deg, nice undercut on the trigger guard and recess the magazine release due to the somewhat in my opinion tiny button lol), that was always the one thing I thought glock could improve on other than that there a great sidearm! I may have to check them out, my other Glocks could always use more friends lol

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
It's a pretty decent difference in my opinion. Primary ones for me were the grip and mag release. All Gen 4 Glocks with no backstrap are the equivalent of the older SF (short frame) models. Shorter distance from the trigger face to the back of the grip. The flatter magazine release and extending it rearward in the grip solved the issue of having to slightly rotate the gun to get good bone on button contact to ensure a clean release. Another nice improvement is the dual captured recoil spring, not that there is a ton of recoil anyway, but I believe it helps. Especially noticeable in the G42, which is the nicest shooting .380 I've ever shot. I shot Springfield XD9's until I picked up and shot a Gen4 G19. That was it. Unfortunately I lost quite a bit of $$ in the transition from xD to Glock (custom work, holsters, magazines, you know how it is....). Well worth it in the long run though!

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I'm all set with my G19 gen 3 as I've done a shit load of work to it getting it to where I like it but I wouldn't mind checking a long slide 9mm out, maybe a weekend project lol, and yes sir I get the cost associated with going from an xD to a glock lol just got rid of an xD 45 for my G17 and ended up losing a few bucks after everything was said and done

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I have an XDM 3.8 9m and absolutely love it, I've held some glocks but didn't like the way they felt in my hand. I honestly don't remember which glocks they were, since there are so many different types of glocks. I'm going to be looking at the new mod 2 in a 45 cal to see how I like and it how it shoots, I may even rent a glock gen 4 you guys are talking about to see how I like it.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="HOG2K]I have an XDM 3.8 9m and absolutely love it, I've held some glocks but didn't like the way they felt in my hand. I honestly don't remember which glocks they were, since there are so many different types of glocks. I'm going to be looking at the new mod 2 in a 45 cal to see how I like and it how it shoots, I may even rent a glock gen 4 you guys are talking about to see how I like it.

[/QUOTE]Well, I've got a Glock 23/G4 (40cal) and also the Lone Wolf barrel to shoot 9 through it. Very nice weapon. Was looking for a 9mm for the Mrs and we must have tried 20 different guns (she's a lefty so mag release was a consideration). She had fired my G23 once and didn't like it. She kept going back to the xD Mod2 in 9 with the 4" barrel. She's doing pretty good with it considering she has been to the range three times and the first two trips were nothing more than her little SR22 we picked up to teach her safety and shooting. I took the xD to the range myself one day and put about 200 round through it. Gotta say, I like it almost as much as my G23 (which I've done a little trigger work to).

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
[QUOTE="Mike Weidleman]Well, I've got a Glock 23/G4 (40cal) and also the Lone Wolf barrel to shoot 9 through it. Very nice weapon. Was looking for a 9mm for the Mrs and we must have tried 20 different guns (she's a lefty so mag release was a consideration). She had fired my G23 once and didn't like it. She kept going back to the xD Mod2 in 9 with the 4" barrel. She's doing pretty good with it considering she has been to the range three times and the first two trips were nothing more than her little SR22 we picked up to teach her safety and shooting. I took the xD to the range myself one day and put about 200 round through it. Gotta say, I like it almost as much as my G23 (which I've done a little trigger work to).

[/QUOTE]
I'm looking at the mod 2 in .45, wanting to shoot it first before I purchase to make sure I like it, but those mod 2 sure do look nice. You keep shooting that mod 2 and you'll end up buying the wife another one :)

I just like the way Springfield feels in my hand, they shoot straight, recoil is nothing to speak of on the 9mm. Isn't life great when we are shooting our weapons!! I"m happy :)