Glock 19 gen 4 or a smith and Wesson m&p 9

Faktory 47
Jan 24, 2017
I'm stuck right now guys, I'm debating whether to buy the glock 19 for the m&p 9, I've been to Vances 3 times this week looking and holding each gun, I have been reading and watching reviews to the point my wife knows how to disassemble a gun we don't even own yet haha, 

I was wondering if I could get some of your ideas on the guns the cons and pro, I'm mainly looking for something I can carry, size doesn't bother me, I go shooting in the weekends with my buddies, and mainly something I can have for years and just feed it round after round and not have to worry about anything 

thank you guys, I'll be looking forward to reading what you have to say, have a great day.??

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
That's a tough decision.  They are both great guns. I switched from Springfield XD's to Glock when the Gen4 came out. This was mostly due to lack of parts availability from Springfield as an instructor and competitive shooter.  I found the Gen4 a much better fit in my hand than previous generations. Both Glock and M&P are quality built and reliable handguns. I personally believe it all comes down to which one you like the feel and size of better. The M&P has a wider range of adjustments for grip size as the small backstrap is smaller than a Gen4 Glock with no backstrap at all. When I have students that are renting equipment for my classes and don't have a gun of their own they almost always gravitate to the M&P due to the feel. Many people aren't a big fan of the finger grooves on the Glock, which the M&P doesn't have. I personally like them though.

I personally like the grip angle of the Glock better. I believe that it helps the shooter maintain a better thumbs forward grip and locked support hand wrist. I also like the take down of the Glock much better. I never did like the need to pull the backstrap pin from the M&P to flip down that little lever on the inside.  There is a wider range of aftermarket parts for the Glock, although M&P is catching up quickly. I feel the Glock is a simpler design as well which is always a plus in my book.

As for size, I believe the G19 is the perfect size. It's grip is shorter than the M&P9, yet allows you to get a full grip on the gun. It's easier to carry concealed yet gives you the feel of a full size pistol.

Either one will give you years of service if properly maintained. They are both reliable guns and shoot well. If you have the chance to shoot both definitely do so. I believe the "feel" may be the determining factor for you.  One thing to note, mags are cheaper for the Glock usually. Especially with the development of the Magpul versions. Good Luck!

Jan 24, 2017
Thank you so much, I've been doing a bunch of  home work on the guns, and honestly after shooting I'm going to have to go with the g19 due to carry, capacity, parts, and the feel thank you sir for your remark it helped a lot 

Jan 24, 2017
Thank you so much, I've been doing a bunch of  home work on the guns, and honestly after shooting I'm going to have to go with the g19 due to carry, capacity, parts, and the feel thank you sir for your remark it helped a lot 

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Glad I could help!  You can eventually end up like me and own Glock, M&P, AND XD's...lol.  But my Glock wins every time.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
Then there's the new CZ P10 coming to a store shelf near you in the next month or so..... :D

Chris won't steer you wrong. There's many, many things you can do to a Glock to make it more yours. Plenty of available parts for it too. They normally don't break, they go bang when you pull the trigger. That S&W though,,, I just can't get past the hinged trigger at all. My wife has an XDMod2 and  we both enjoy shooting that thing right out of the box. No need to change the sights or anything.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for reminding me of that.  I agree with Ohiobellboy, the hinge trigger on the M&P isn't my favorite. Maybe I just contact the trigger higher than most, but I've actually had instances where I didn't activate the trigger safety because my finger was too high on the gun.  I will totally admit that out of the box the X D has a better trigger than the Glock or the M&P.  Again....for me, all things considered the Glock wins.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I'll take Glock's stock trigger over X D out of the box any day. For me, Glock has about 1/2" of takeup, which I am so used to I take it up without thinking about it, then breaks crisp with no overtravel. The XDs just seem "mushy" in comparison.