GI can opener

GA Firing Line

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
At a yard sale I found these old GI can openers. Are they worth anything? A lot of the ammo I got at this sale was 1943 so I'm thinking this is that old.

RICHGCOOP

M

mukwah

I don't know if they are worth anything but they sure bring back memories!

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Like Redden68, I see them at gun shows all the time but I have never seen them in the package. Those may be the original GI openers.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I'm an Army brat and my father served 28 years in the Army with tours in Korea and Vietnam. He used to bring home c-rations on several occasions and we would eat them. I really liked the peanut butter! I eventually got a key ring when I started driving I guess around my sophomore year. Ever since I've had a key ring, I've had a P-38 on it and carry it always. Don't use it very often, but when you need it, it is great to have with you. I also use it as a screw driver on occasions in a pinch.

Here is a picture of my P-38 I've carried around for the past 40 years. I thought I would throw in the tool I got a few years ago from a member of the Seecamp Forum. Seecamps are finicky with ammo and they recommend certain brands of ammo for their guns. I carry the .32 as a bug always. I also have the .380 with a custom serial number, but rarely carry it. One of the things that seem to cause problems with ammo is the inconsistent OAL of the bullet. If the ammo is over the recommended OAL it is more likely to cause FTF's and stove pipes. The tool shown is a gauge that can be carried on a key ring to help measure the OAL of a bullet. That tool rides right next to my P-38 on my key ring.

IMG_2487.jpg

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Most Army surplus stores will carry these too. The one I visit even has an old dog tag making machine in it and they will make you a dog tag too!