Getting Your Employer To Allow/promote Concealed Carry.....

American Revival Apparel Company

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I started a new job in December and have taken it upon myself to fight the good fight. Current company policy is no weapons on premises. After the San Bernadino shooting happen our Employee Assistance Program sent out a mass email stating if anyone felt stressed or anxiety about the events they could call to talk to someone etc, etc. With bring in Ohio and receiving this email, many employees wondered if something had happened here! That prompted my direct supervisor to ask our Safety Manager if there was any type of active shooter plan. My direct supervisor (God bless her) is 100% in support of an Active Shooter Response plan and limited/discreet carry by select individuals. I even managed to have her let me attend the Ohio BWC Safety Congress in Columbus earlier this month where I spent 3 days sitting through Emergency Response/Preparedness, Ballistics, Domestic Terrorism, and Active Shooter Response classes!

Meeting with the company Safety Manager later this week to discuss the classes and hopefully a path forward on developing a plan/policy to propose to the higher ups. In a 1/2 Billon $ company getting a policy changed usually takes an act of Congress....although they're pretty slow about doing anything too!

Has anyone fought this fight with their own employer? Any tips or suggestions?

My goal is to at least get them to develop and implement an Active Shooter Response plan and drill it. Long term goal is to allow limited concealed carry by written permission as I know it's a pipe dream to think they'll ever allow it company wide. Open to any and all ideas on the matter! @T\.L\.Jones

PS- I currently am an instructor with an organization that teach active shooter response in public schools for armed teachers and staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Given the civil liability protection offered under ORC 2923.126 C(2)a it perplexes me that businesses are so against it.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I work for the government, so our rules about what government employers can and cannot do regarding firearms are very different from private employers. But I did have to do some housecleaning when I was presented with the county policies about firearms. The Sheriff was asked to look over it and he brought it to me and we quickly realized just how unlawful many of the practices were. So I had to fight that fight, at least to the extent it was bringing the county into compliance and obviously limited by statute (i.e. the county can only prohibit firearms in buildings, not the rest of premises, and the only exceptions are statutory in nature).

Theoretically I am conflicted on the issue. First, obviously, I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves and carry arms to do so. And if you've followed my constitutional position you can probably guess I believe that right applies to government action. So I also believe in the government staying out of private business. The conflict comes with this, realistically speaking, when an employer doesn't even allow firearms in the parking lots, they have effectively eliminated the right of the person not only to carry at work/on their property, but they have made it so practically speaking their employees also cannot carry to and from work. And I have a problem with that. I am in favor of laws that many states have that restrict the ability of private businesses to restrict the lawful carry of firearms in parking facilities.

I'm also all for what you are doing, Chris, in taking strides to educate the higher ups and seeking to implement whatever safety measures you can get passed management. The reason employers are so against it is because of a lack of education. They simply don't know any better to realize how their policies, likely political in nature, actually result in less safety in the real world. Fewer firearms might mean fewer negligent incidents, but they don't understand that negligent incidences are extremely rare and completely avoidable with training. However, incidents of intentional violence are much more common and are not increased by having more lawful people carrying firearms, but are decreased in reality. They just don't realize what's in their best interest. They are blinded by fear and ignorance. So keep fighting the good fight.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks T.L. Is my interpretation of the mentioned ORC code correct? A company cannot be sued in civil court for the actions of a CCW carrying employee if they discharge the firearm at work? Say.....attempt to stop an active shooter and hit an innocent bystander. The company is protected.

Also, to my knowledge Ohio does not have law limiting an employers' ability to restrict firearms in the parking lot. Do you know of legislation in the works to put this limitation on employers in place? Thanks.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
You are absolutely correct on 2923.126©(2).

As for pending legislation, I know Senator Joe Uecker was trying to get a bill introduced on this issue, but I'm not sure the current status. I'll try to keep you updated if I can find out. Link: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150527/ohio-employer-parking-lot-legislation-circulating-legislature

EDIT: It is Senate Bill 180 https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA131-SB-180 Currently it is still in committee but was argued in committee back in October.

EDIT #2: The practice of our legislature has been to push firearms legislation through at the end of terms, so I wouldn't look for passage of any new bills until december again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
Well Chris, in your original post the 2nd and 3rd sentences sounded a whole lot like the company I work for clear down to the EAP reference. Until you got to the part about the 1/2 Billion a year thing. I work for a Fortune 10 company so the $$ are quite a bit higher. Would be nice to at least be able to have one secured in our vehicles while on company property.