Getting ready for summer

GA Firing Line

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Just ordered a new spring for my little Black Russian (Baikal Md. 177). Will get her all tuned up this summer for leaf shooting. This little rifle cost me about $100.00 and has one of the best triggers you ever shot, and so dang accurate. Great starter rifle for kids, and many adults use it in competition believe or not.

PIc with Bug Buster Scope.

My favorite drill. shooting the center vein of a leaf with a slight breeze;

Also bought nice Crosman 2240 for $10,00, checked it out with the chrony and shoots great. I just replaced the receiver with a new Steel breech and ordered a TKO Shroud. It will be a great summer rifle and quiet as a mouse fart. I have a Bug Buster scope on that as well. Will post a pic when the shroud arrives.

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
I've been looking at air rifles lately. Haven't done much research yet, so I have no idea what to get. I've seen ones from Crosman, Gamo, Beeman, and a few others.

They've come a long way since my old Crosman pump rifle from the 1980's.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Sontag, you might want to start here at the link below. Lots of videos on all the different air rifles etc. What ever you buy, you will most likely be adding to your collection down the road. Starting off, remember this, do not be fooled by all the ads that spout high velocity.Big box stores that sell many off the shelf guns do this. When I first got into this sport, I started with a simple Crosman quest from Walmart and then started moving up. I quickly bought a Diana RWS 460 MAGNUM springer. Yes that thing was powerful! You could hear it clobber a pine tree at 100 yds. But it was a bear to cock. Would wear you out after 30 shots. I later had it "detuned" and while I lost velocity, it made the gun into a very pleasant shooter, one you could shoot all day and still more than enough power
Many big box pellet rifles have a lot of twang, and vibration, and the triggers stink. Most German rifles and English rifles are superbly made with quality.

Check out the web site and you may go with springers, PCP or Co2. I personally love the springers, but do have a number of co2. Have fun checking them all out.

http://www.pyramydair.com/

M

mukwah

OK Dave, got me thinking now...... this could be fun!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
davevabch said:
Sontag, you might want to start here at the link below. Lots of videos on all the different air rifles etc. What ever you buy, you will most likely be adding to your collection down the road. Starting off, remember this, do not be fooled by all the ads that spout high velocity.Big box stores that sell many off the shelf guns do this. When I first got into this sport, I started with a simple Crosman quest from Walmart and then started moving up. I quickly bought a Diana RWS 460 MAGNUM springer. Yes that thing was powerful! You could hear it clobber a pine tree at 100 yds. But it was a bear to cock. Would wear you out after 30 shots. I later had it "detuned" and while I lost velocity, it made the gun into a very pleasant shooter, one you could shoot all day and still more than enough power
Many big box pellet rifles have a lot of twang, and vibration, and the triggers stink. Most German rifles and English rifles are superbly made with quality.

Check out the web site and you may go with springers, PCP or Co2. I personally love the springers, but do have a number of co2. Have fun checking them all out.

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Looks like you'll be costing me some money; I got lost on that website!

OLDBEARCAT

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Dave you stirred up some old memories.

WELL....

That summer vacation in 1949 I was 9 years old and I got the Benjamin Pump .177 cal pellet rifle in Mt. Shasta Calif. at my great aunt's general store. I never shot it until a week later when we got to Montana to my father's cousin's cabin. He was a hunter and said, "Let's take your gun out back and shoot it." It sounded great to me! He put a silver dollar; used as pocket change in Montana in 1949, on the fence post and said, "If you hit it you can have it."

#1.He never thought I could hit it.

#2. He never realized how powerful the .177 pump was.

I pumped "OL MORGAN"; as I came to call my rifle, up about 7 times; that was my lucky number, and steadied in on my very first shot at that silver dollar on the fence post and let fly!

I shot at that Morgan silver dollar and it fell off the fence post and down in the dust. Cousin Clair said flatly.... "You missed.... you just lost a silver dollar and let's go get it!" Can you believe his surprise... and mine... when he picked that Morgan up and there was a big dent on one side and bulge on the other? He said,"WOW, what a fancy first shot you just made and that is a very accurate and powerful little rifle you have!" I have an old movie of that stuck in my head somewhere and I reply it all the time.

I guess I still got a big grin on my face!

I've had that silver dollar all my life and wouldn't trade it for it's weight in gold! But.. I just may give "OL MORGAN" and that lucky silver dollar to some happy 10 year old after I finish restoring her.

The seals are still good and holds pressure forever.

DOC

R

rayzer007

OLDBEARCAT said:
I've had that silver dollar all my life and wouldn't trade it for it's weight in gold! But.. I just may give "OL MORGAN" and that lucky silver dollar to some happy 10 year old after I finish restoring her.

That's the spirit Doc!! ;)

Ray

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
rayzer007 said:
OLDBEARCAT said:

That's the spirit Doc!! ;)

Ray

Great story! Let that silver dollar roll on down in time to other generations!