Generator Maintenance Reminder

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
We're coming into storm season. It's a good time to drag the generator out and run it for a bit, tighten loose nuts/bolts/screws, and check the air filter.

Just went through mine.

H

Hoss

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I drained the 5gals of gas out of mine and put it in the car then replaced it with fresh gas and stabil. I do this twice a year.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Funny you should say that. Yesterday I drained the 5gals of gas out of mine and put it in the car then replaced it with fresh gas and stabil.
I have Sta-bil in mine. I replaced the gas last fall (November I think). Do you think it's fine for a few more months before I drain and re-fill?

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I run myn 1x a month. When electric goes out my house takes 2+ days for them get hillbilly land

H

Hoss

I have Sta-bil in mine. I replaced the gas last fall (November I think). Do you think it's fine for a few more months before I drain and re-fill?
Probably, but it's a zero sum game if you put it in your car then refill it. I didn't swap the gas in my auger and cranked it up after 4 mos and the ethanol had reaked havoc. If you can find ethanol free gas, then go that route on small engines and you're good for 6mos+

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Probably, but it's a zero sum game if you put it in your car then refill it. I didn't swap the gas in my auger and cranked it up after 4 mos and the ethanol had reaked havoc. If you can find ethanol free gas, then go that route on small engines and you're good for 6mos+
Yeah, no e-free gas around here. I do use Sta-Bil though..hopefully it helps. I also usually put a glug of Seafoam in too. I'll probably drain it out in a week, I just filled the car this afternoon, and I'm not running old gas through the beast.

I also use synthetic Mobil1 Extended performance oil in it, same stuff I put in the cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I use ethanol free gas in everything. Lawn mowers generator. 4 wheelers. Dirtbikes. Boats Just diesel for my truck. Love sea foam. Use it when going sit for awhile

Reactions: Hoss
H

Hoss

I use ethanol free gas in everything. Lawn mowers generator. 4 wheelers. Dirtbikes. Boats Just diesel for my truck. Love sea foam. Use it when going sit for awhile
Same here. Seafoam through the brake vacuum hose 2x per year.

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
sea foam boats after winterized.
my sons dirtbikes put seafoam in since wont be home till next feb.
I do add couple splashes of sea foam to my 5 gallon gas cans,figure cant hurt

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I just did this last week since I hadn't run it in months. Pulled it out and drained the old yellow gas. Cleaned the carb and ordered an air filter, mine had been soaked with fuel at some point. Changed the oil, put some ethanol free in it and ran it until dry. Then drained the bowl too. Ordered a K&N air filter this time so I won't be stuck needing one again. Just wash it out an go.

All the newer Ractrac stations have ethanol free. I keep a 30 gallon drum on a dolly with a hand pump. I keep it full, but make sure to use it to fill lawnmowers, trimmers, 4 wheelers, etc. So it stays pretty fresh. And I can roll it on the trailer and strap it down if we decide to go on an ATV excursion. Cost about $90 compared to the $300 I was looking at for a 30 gal. fuel caddy.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
We start our generator weekly. We used to crank it once a month but for some reason, the fuel pressure has been dropping out. Just pump the prime handle a few times and she roars to life. Probably need to call and get several hundred gallons of fuel since we have not filled it since last year.