Galil mar handguard on a Ace

Howard Law

Kalashnikov

Hunter
Nov 8, 2016
Murrayville
Zip code
5CF9F019-2F9E-4CCF-AB66-B299719FB8E0.jpeg 2A6314A4-80BC-4ACA-8B97-5C24521DC52F.jpeg I have spent 2 days trying to spread out a micro Galil forearm enough to get it to fit on my new ace pistol. Does anyone have a suggestion of a tool that spreads things out? The tool has to be able to have a 1.5” reach to clear the front sight and be able to spread out 1.5” so I can push the handguard over a tube that holds the handguard together with a crossbolt and retained nut.
I have tried a threaded rod with washers, wood blocks and brute force and am sick of scratching up my gun. The pictures show what needs to be spread and someone else who has gotten it installed. Please suggest a tool that spreads shit out

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Speculum....

Sorry, had to.... Maybe something like this?

8milelake Disc Brake Pad Installation Spreader Caliper Piston Spreader Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FHQ20W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eER9AbJPTYRPX

If I'm reading correctly this sounds kinda like what you're describing. Or what about a small wooden wedge (not sure if that's what you're already talking about trying) in either side, then tap it on with a rubber mallet?

Reactions: Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov

Hunter
Nov 8, 2016
Murrayville
Zip code
Speculum....

Sorry, had to.... Maybe something like this?

8milelake Disc Brake Pad Installation Spreader Caliper Piston Spreader Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FHQ20W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eER9AbJPTYRPX

If I'm reading correctly this sounds kinda like what you're describing. Or what about a small wooden wedge (not sure if that's what you're already talking about trying) in either side, then tap it on with a rubber mallet?

Hell if a speculum would work, but not sure of the pressures needed to open this damn handguard compared to what it was designed to open are obtainable. That brake tool may be the ticket, will start hitting auto part stores. Thanks

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Hell if a speculum would work, but not sure of the pressures needed to open this damn handguard compared to what it was designed to open are obtainable. That brake tool may be the ticket, will start hitting auto part stores. Thanks
No problem bro! Best of luck and hit us up with an update. We're usually pretty good of brainstorming ways of tacticooling other's guns.

Kalashnikov

Hunter
Nov 8, 2016
Murrayville
Zip code
This task should not be as hard as it is, broke the brake tool tried the fulcrum with steel plate, I guess it is not meant to be. I now need to figure out how to touch up the jacked up scratches

Kalashnikov

Hunter
Nov 8, 2016
Murrayville
Zip code
7F624D11-0C79-40EA-9403-5FE124C7D2C1.jpeg After serious persuasion with a mallet huge channel locks and the remnants of 2 brake caliper tools the friggen handguard is on. Not looking forward to doing it again ever. Now onto the trigger guard mag catch install, funny, I thought the removal of the factory mag catch and install of the Galil unit was going to be the challenge.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Leadhoof

Dumb Bottom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Florida
e621.net
Zip code
View attachment 38457 After serious persuasion with a mallet huge channel locks and the remnants of 2 brake caliper tools the friggen handguard is on. Not looking forward to doing it again ever. Now onto the trigger guard mag catch install, funny, I thought the removal of the factory mag catch and install of the Galil unit was going to be the challenge.

Best of luck. Working with rivets sucks without dedicated equipment.