G34 MOS or aftermarket milled slide?

GA Firing Line

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Ok... so I've become somewhat hampered by my own lack of technology. I've shot red dots on pistols a lot, and they're moderately accurate (plenty for handgunning) and fast as hell.

I generally shoot a Gen3 G34 in matches. And it does fine, but I'd be quicker with a red dot instead of irons. And I have an RMR that can move over to cover the red dot.

Question is this.... Buy G34 MOS ready to go for RMR, or go aftermarket. Option 3 looks like sending my slide off to be milled. But after you add in the cost of the cover plate and refinishing the slide, it's damn near the same cost as just buying the aftermarket ready to go.

So what do you think? And if you know of a deal on an aftermarket G34 slide that's already cut, post it up!

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Ok... so I've become somewhat hampered by my own lack of technology. I've shot red dots on pistols a lot, and they're moderately accurate (plenty for handgunning) and fast as hell.

I generally shoot a Gen3 G34 in matches. And it does fine, but I'd be quicker with a red dot instead of irons. And I have an RMR that can move over to cover the red dot.

Question is this.... Buy G34 MOS ready to go for RMR, or go aftermarket. Option 3 looks like sending my slide off to be milled. But after you add in the cost of the cover plate and refinishing the slide, it's damn near the same cost as just buying the aftermarket ready to go.

So what do you think? And if you know of a deal on an aftermarket G34 slide that's already cut, post it up!
If there is no rules against it I would send it to be milled. GSSF dictates that you use the MOS for a complete stock pistol. But I've heard there is better fitment with a milled slide. And it gets the optic lower.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
If there is no rules against it I would send it to be milled. GSSF dictates that you use the MOS for a complete stock pistol. But I've heard there is better fitment with a milled slide. And it gets the optic lower.

I haven't really done any research yet- I didn't know the optic could sit lower on a milled slide- that's a big plus.

I don't really do GSSF because I don't have any bone stock pistols. The local matches don't care what you bring- you can "run what ya' brung" in unlimited/open classes.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I've heard everyone say that it's better to get the slide milled because the optics sit too high on the MOS guns. I don't have any personal experience with it though, but I've read this a bunch on the internet so it must be true. :noidea:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I've heard everyone say that it's better to get the slide milled because the optics sit too high on the MOS guns. I don't have any personal experience with it though, but I've read this a bunch on the internet so it must be true. :noidea:

That's all I've got to go on at the moment- I'm sure I'd like the optic as low as possible in the slide, that's for sure.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Milled is the way to go, but you are stuck with that optic which is the only downside. The MOS gives you the option to change optics.

Eventually I plan to get my M&P milled though.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I meant more that if you have it milled for a RMR then you can only use an RMR. Not that it’s a problem since it’s the nicest option.
Why would you want anything else? Maybe a Delta Point. But I doubt it. RMR for Lyfe.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I agree, just pointing it out. The only problem I could see is if Trijicon changes the mounting of the RMRs.
I don't see them doing that. They would have to change their equipment setup, which costs money, plus they would piss off customers. Which also costs money. A LOT of money.

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I don't see them doing that. They would have to change their equipment setup, which costs money, plus they would piss off customers. Which also costs money. A LOT of money.
Didn’t stop apple. Not saying that they will, but if changing the mount allows them to make a better optic they may do it.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Didn’t stop apple. Not saying that they will, but if changing the mount allows them to make a better optic they may do it.
Yeah, that is true. But each Apple product is generationally outdated before the end of the same year it is released. The inner electronics of an RMR might go through some upgrades as time goes on, but I feel their mounting system has proven it's durability surviving countless rounds down range while taking a rather violent ride on various pistol slides.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Aftermarket milled is superior. A decent shop can mill the cut a bit deeper to set the optic closer to the slide, and mill it for your specific optic.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I'll be sending a G26 to get milled soon. I'll have to wait on the next RMR sale to mount an optic, but soon.