• Total voters

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
The amazing thing about seeing Ernest shoot wasn't just how well or accurate he was, it was how blazing fast he was. Especially with a DA/SA M92.

I had a Female Batt. Commander, that was a Prez. 100 shooter, that made a crazy small shot group, w/ a M9 at 25m ( appx. 82 feet) Its more about the Indian then about the bow....

Reactions: sam and DarthVader

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Glock certainly has issues at times....the G42 comes to mind with the different "generations" of internals that was never publicized....

Honestly both guns are a toss up. They cost the same (for me); one has cheaper mags but one is more ergonomic...one is based locally but I shouldn't really need that to begin with...etc

It seems that more.lften than not when this question comes up the majority of people say Glock because it's what they already have...which I understand since Glock has been out so long. Glock has been out for decades and all but I have to say that S&W did an impressive job of having such a short gestation period to getting the M&P lineup to be a nearly dead heat in terms of cost,reliability,and accuracy as Glock ( there is no question that Glock is the benchmark).

Part of me wants to get one of each and do my own torture test video and just beat the shit out of each of them like it's Saturday night with @AirOpsMgr but I know that both would likely have no problems.

It seems to be a toss up.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Don't get me wrong I really like the m&p series too. Calling it a copy was just a cheap shot at the smith fan boys. I have no legitimate reason to trust one over the other but I do think that because all Glock makes is glocks gives it a slight edge in quality control. Even if that's just all in my head. And like I said I'd take the shield over the 43 all day or the m&p 45 over the 21. But for a compact 9mm the 19 just fits the bill for me, personal preference that's all.

Possibly...but the G42 incident comes to mind...never really acknowledged there was a problem but quietly kept "updating" internal parts and magazines...

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
because glock is gay. if you have evr shot an M&P and used one of the three grip sizes so it fits your hand, you'll throw away that glock

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Glock certainly has issues at times....the G42 comes to mind with the different "generations" of internals that was never publicized....

Honestly both guns are a toss up. They cost the same (for me); one has cheaper mags but one is more ergonomic...one is based locally but I shouldn't really need that to begin with...etc

It seems that more.lften than not when this question comes up the majority of people say Glock because it's what they already have...which I understand since Glock has been out so long. Glock has been out for decades and all but I have to say that S&W did an impressive job of having such a short gestation period to getting the M&P lineup to be a nearly dead heat in terms of cost,reliability,and accuracy as Glock ( there is no question that Glock is the benchmark).

Part of me wants to get one of each and do my own torture test video and just beat the shit out of each of them like it's Saturday night with @AirOpsMgr but I know that both would likely have no problems.

It seems to be a toss up.

This is like having an argument about Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys. One will fit your ass better, but even if you buy the one that doesn't, in a month you will probably prefer it.

Jul 2, 2015
I have carried quite a few different guns and shot plenty of others. For me G19 is the only answer for everyday carry. I thought the VP9 may end up in my collection but after shooting it I wasnt nearly as accurate with it as I REALLY wanted to be,hell I'll be honest I couldn't shoot it half as good as I could my Glock which is odd cause I thought from the way it felt in my hand it almost felt molded. I shoot the G19 well , it's fairly small and holds 15+1, no changes for me.

Reactions: sam

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
And this is why public advice sucks. 95% of people will recommend what they own because it justifies, in their own mind, the purchase they already made.

Jul 2, 2015
And this is why public advice sucks. 95% of people will recommend what they own because it justifies, in their own mind, the purchase they already made.
Yep I agree, not sure if it was the HK name but it got recommended to me by maybe 5 people. Couldnt hit the side of a barn with it.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I did have the slide stop on my 19 break or fall out of the gun once and I didn't notice until after three failure to fires and then the slide assembly slid of the frame. I gave it to an official armorer at a GSSF competition and he fixed it up with some new parts.

I took a M&P9c to a conceal carry class and had two fail to feeds and a double feed in about 250 rounds.

Maybe Glock will read this and pay me to never mention it again.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
This is like having an argument about Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys. One will fit your ass better, but even if you buy the one that doesn't, in a month you will probably prefer it.

Pfftt....that's easy....throaty 3.5l V6 mated to a six speed manual trans....Accord all the way.

The campy comes standard with a bottle of Geritol, a cane holder, and cardigan.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I did have the slide stop on my 19 break or fall out of the gun once and I didn't notice until after three failure to fires and then the slide assembly slid of the frame. I gave it to an official armorer at a GSSF competition and he fixed it up with some new parts.

I took a M&P9c to a conceal carry class and had two fail to feeds and a double feed in about 250 rounds.

Maybe Glock will read this and pay me to never mention it again.

I really dislike the 9c....it just doesn't feel right at all.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Honestly after two customer service nightmares, one of which they destroyed an heirloom gun, I will never buy a new S&W product again. Fuck those UAW pricks.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

Yeah I figured it would be like this. The vibe I'm getting is that Glock is the most popular because it's been around longer so most people already have and are invested in Glock.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Honestly after two customer service nightmares, one of which they destroyed an heirloom gun, I will never buy a new S&W product again. Fuck those UAW pricks.

What happened?!

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Yeah I figured it would be like this. The vibe I'm getting is that Glock is the most popular because it's been around longer so mote people already have and are invested in Glock.

M&P is built by union UAW members in Massachusetts. Glock is not. What else is there to know?

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
What happened?!

They destroyed my dad's gun I sent to have refinished, and then a year later lost an upper I sent to them because it was keyholing. Both took over a year to resolve.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
M&P is built by union UAW members in Massachusetts. Glock is not. What else is there to know?

I wasn't aware the UAW represented anyone outside the auto industry. That is disappointing.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
The last G19 I had was pitiful. I had decided to give it another go with Glock. Bought a new G19 and decked it out with all my favorite parts. Basically an LAV edition, before there was an LAV edition, with a "-" connector. I was excited, because it seemed perfect to me! But it quickly started showing problems. Failure to eject, brass to the face, etc. It threw brass directly to the 6 o'clock, so hard that it drew blood on my forehead. I left the range one day with four bleeding cuts and a pile of frustration. It also shot high, no matter what I did. I like my sights set up to either "shoot the dot" or impact on the top edge of the front sight blade. The G19 shot 2" over the front sight.

I had to take a day off work to drive to Smyrna. They replaced every small part in the slide. The real issue was the extractor. But by replacing everything, they could avoid admitting what the real problem was. I specifically asked them what was wrong and they basically dodged the question. This is what I like to refer to as waving the magic Glock wand. Fix the issue quietly and don't admit to a problem. The replacement extractor was clearly of a different design.

Part of the reason people love them is because they are accessible. And as a result, they've built a reputation for great service. But that's only true if you live here or if you participate in GSSF. Shipping a gun in to them is a different story. And I've heard both good and bad stories from guys in other states.

But they did in fact fix my gun. Good extraction & ejection. Unfortunately, by that point, my opinion of the gun had soured and the POI was still high. I ended up selling it to a guy out of state. He still has it, 4 years later. He shoots alot and he's still very happy with it.

Glock will probably be the king of defensive handguns for a long time. Partly due to an earned reputation, partly due to marketing and public perception and partly due to their dominance of the LE market. And the M&P will always play second fiddle to an extent for many of the same reasons. Not because it's a lesser gun, but because it's not what everyone else shoots.

And the M&P did have some early teething issues, like the dead trigger problem and erratic accuracy. The dead trigger was fixed years ago with a spring change. The accuracy issue improved with a couple of barrel redesigns. And the trigger has improved significantly over the course of several design changes. But we all know how hard it is to overcome old reputations in the gun industry. For someone who is starting from scratch, try them both and pick the one that works best for you. Because it's kind of hard to go wrong with either.

Reactions: Red Dawn and Shemp