Freeze Dried / MRE survival food reviews

GA Firing Line

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
@Patryn, not to put you on the spot, but what feedback have you had at your shop with the different brands, if I may ask?

That's an easy question. Sorry for the late response. We have run taste testings roughly every 60 days for the last 2 years. During those times we test and try our current inventory and new products.

We ask people to give us an honest opinion and occasionally let bloggers come in and do reviews for free.

We have tested the following brands:

Mountain House
Gourmet Reserves
BackPackers Pantry
NuHarvest
Alpine Aire
Wise
Valley Foods
Thrive

And I know I'm leaving someone out so forgive me. However all the companies without fail get 4.5-5 stars when people judge the taste, except for two and that's Wise and Valley. We will not carry those last two mentioned due to quality control and customer complaints.

Now if your worried about healthy - then you one big thing you have to accept is that all freeze dried products are high in sodium. Period. That's why they taste good and last 25+ years. If you cannot deal with high sodium we have other options we can order but I don't want to carry anything other then what I just listed. Mountain house has been around almost 50 years........carried by every company in the nation. They are hard to beat.

Does that answer everything?

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I need one of you to come teach me the way. I have some canned food, but really need to get food storage up. Also need to take time and make a good get home bag for me and my wife. Also need to look into some for water. Have a lake in my back yard. Anyone know how to create a pump to get water from their to my house? It's a little embarrassing admitting that I am not as prepared with food as I'd like to be.

Come by the shop. We can help you figure out what you do and don't need.

Reactions: Sublimebeer

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
In addition to meals, I've been buying protein / energy bars when they're on sale to toss in my bags/kits. Are there any brands you guys seek out to store?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
In addition to meals, I've been buying protein / energy bars when they're on sale to toss in my bags/kits. Are there any brands you guys seek out to store?

I'm glad you mentioned this-

When on sale for a dollar each, I've bought some Cliff bars at Kroger. Some of those have been absolutely terrible. There was one (it's been a while since I've dared try them again) that was OK- I think it was the Sierra trail mix bar or something? Mostly tasted like dried fruit.

I remember than anything with the word "chocolate" in the title was to be avoided at all costs. The 'fudge brownie' and 'chocolate mint' were tossed in the trash after a bite.

Maybe other people feel differently- I'm very interested in other opinions. My experience with anything labeled a protein bar was that it seemed more like wood than food.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I'm glad you mentioned this-

When on sale for a dollar each, I've bought some Cliff bars at Kroger. Some of those have been absolutely terrible. There was one (it's been a while since I've dared try them again) that was OK- I think it was the Sierra trail mix bar or something? Mostly tasted like dried fruit.

I remember than anything with the word "chocolate" in the title was to be avoided at all costs. The 'fudge brownie' and 'chocolate mint' were tossed in the trash after a bite.

Maybe other people feel differently- I'm very interested in other opinions. My experience with anything labeled a protein bar was that it seemed more like wood than food.
Well, as a matter of fact, the $1 sale at Kroger was what prompted me to post that .... I saw all Cliff bars on sale for $1 at Kroger today, but I hesitated as I wasn't sure if:
1. Is that a good deal
2. What do they taste like (no, I've never had a Cliff bar)

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Well, as a matter of fact, the $1 sale at Kroger was what prompted me to post that .... I saw all Cliff bars on sale for $1 at Kroger today, but I hesitated as I wasn't sure if:
1. Is that a good deal
Cliff bars are not bad depending on the variety. The white chocolate and macadamia nut is a good one as well as chocolate brownie. $1 is a pretty good price for them.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
1. Is that a good deal

It's been awhile, but I did find a couple that I was OK with eating. And I really did trash some of them after a bite or two- and I normally will not throw away food.

I'm pretty sure that the "good" ones were Sierra trail mix or something with a similar name. I don't remember trying the white chocolate macadamia nut (and that is one of my favorite cookies). I do remember the chocolate mint as being terribly powdery and generally not palatable. However that could just be me.

Given the choice, a Snickers bar wins every time for obvious reasons.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
It's been awhile, but I did find a couple that I was OK with eating. And I really did trash some of them after a bite or two- and I normally will not throw away food.

I'm pretty sure that the "good" ones were Sierra trail mix or something with a similar name. I don't remember trying the white chocolate macadamia nut (and that is one of my favorite cookies). I do remember the chocolate mint as being terribly powdery and generally not palatable. However that could just be me.

Given the choice, a Snickers bar wins every time for obvious reasons.
I didn't buy any because the ones they had on the shelf expired this year; I didn't pull every bar, but after looking at 5-6 that had sell-by dates of 2015, I passed. If they were good for a year or 2, I might get some and cycle through

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I didn't buy any because the ones they had on the shelf expired this year; I didn't pull every bar, but after looking at 5-6 that had sell-by dates of 2015, I passed. If they were good for a year or 2, I might get some and cycle through

I'm really not sure on the expiration dates, but given their fairly "loose" packaging, I'm not sure that they would have a long shelf life. Not sure, but I think those pouches were just plastic- i.e. no foil liner.

And the Cliff crowd isn't looking for longer term storage- just convenient protein bars. Just my two cents worth.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I'm really not sure on the expiration dates, but given their fairly "loose" packaging, I'm not sure that they would have a long shelf life. Not sure, but I think those pouches were just plastic- i.e. no foil liner.

And the Cliff crowd isn't looking for longer term storage- just convenient protein bars. Just my two cents worth.
No worries, I appreciate the feedback. It would be nice to snag some "protein" or similar type bars here and there when I'm shopping to add to my stash, but I honestly know nothing about them. I figured I might grab some when they're on sale, but if they expire within a year, maybe not

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
No worries, I appreciate the feedback. It would be nice to snag some "protein" or similar type bars here and there when I'm shopping to add to my stash, but I honestly know nothing about them. I figured I might grab some when they're on sale, but if they expire within a year, maybe not

Heck, give a couple a try and see if you like them. Maybe rotate them in as snacks or a lite breakfast/lunch when you cannot get away from work. I thought the Sierra trail mix (if I'm right about that name) were ok for everyday consumption. Not my food of choice, but edible- almost enjoyable.

If I'm just after available fast calories, I'm sticking with Pop Tarts. Love their Smore's flavor :)

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Heck, give a couple a try and see if you like them. Maybe rotate them in as snacks or a lite breakfast/lunch when you cannot get away from work. I thought the Sierra trail mix (if I'm right about that name) were ok for everyday consumption. Not my food of choice, but edible- almost enjoyable.

If I'm just after available fast calories, I'm sticking with Pop Tarts. Love their Smore's flavor :)
Honestly, and GOD forbid I get into such a situation, I'm thinking that darn near anything that isn't spoiled would be better than resorting to road kill stew, grubs, etc. Sure, tree rats make a fine meal, but you need some variation.

After all, how bad can any protein bar really taste if you are just trying to survive?

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
I enjoy watching the different thread about, food and the expiration date. That date that is on every food item sold, is because of BIG Brother!! That date is only to signify, that date that is still the best..That does not mean it is expired..It is a ploy by big brother, to make you want to purchase more. By making you believe that what is on your shelf, is not good anymore.. And now I am going to put on my Tin foil hat...

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Just occurred to me today- but what's the shelf life on Ensure and similar nutrition shakes? I know they do come in metal cans at least- possibly an option.
Are you speaking of the powdered stuff or the liquid? I think the powdered stuff is only "good" for 1-1.5 yrs, liquid I couldn't tell ya

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I enjoy watching the different thread about, food and the expiration date. That date that is on every food item sold, is because of BIG Brother!! That date is only to signify, that date that is still the best..That does not mean it is expired..It is a ploy by big brother, to make you want to purchase more. By making you believe that what is on your shelf, is not good anymore.. And now I am going to put on my Tin foil hat...

Actually, I fully agree with you. Two pharmacists that I used to work for in high school also fully agree with you. They said the FDA's date has no basis in physical testing on most things. Drugs are stable compounds for the most part- some do turn bad. But most powders and tablets are very, very stable long after the date on the bottle.

I feel the same way about canned goods that have not bulged at the top/bottom.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Are you speaking of the powdered stuff or the liquid? I think the powdered stuff is only "good" for 1-1.5 yrs, liquid I couldn't tell ya

I was thinking about the canned liquid drinks- didn't know they made a powdered option. Although now I'm thinking about the Carnation instant breakfast type drinks. Those and some powdered milk should be good for years.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I was thinking about the canned liquid drinks- didn't know they made a powdered option. Although now I'm thinking about the Carnation instant breakfast type drinks. Those and some powdered milk should be good for years.
eeeeuk; I grew up on Carnation powdered milk as a child when we couldn't get it fresh; I'll pass on that!!!!

I wonder how many folks even remember powdered milk :puke1: