Flying With Tactical Self Defense In Mind

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I fly a lot. With a family member in the airline business, I fly more than many do, with the exception of pilots and individuals that fly for business weekly. So when flying commercially, it's not a surprise that those of us that are 2nd Amendment exercising, law abiding citizens of this great country, feel a little vulnerable without a means to protect ourselves. Since 9/11 the game changed. No longer is a peaceful resolution probable. If a terrorist hijacks a plane, I assume the worst will occur and thus the reason I would do everything I could to take out those that set out to cause us harm. I would rather die trying to take those bastards out, than sit in my seat in fear as the plane collided with a structure or dive into the ground.

So I've been thinking of what can be legally taken on a commercial flight as a carry-on that could also be used for self-defense. I once saw a movie or television show that used a hot coffee pot as a weapon. I also saw where someone rolled up magazines and used that as a club. And who hasn't seen the ball point pen in the ear/neck/eye/nose defense? Those are all viable, with their pro's and con's. Another one that I just came across was a carabiner. A carabiner when locked can double as a great pair of pseudo brass knuckles as seen in this James Yeager video clip review of his Mil-Spec Monkey backpack. What other items do you carry on a commercial flight that can be used in self defense if needed?

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Hadn't thought of the carabiner as a brass knuckles substitute...I guess those $1 giant carabiners I bought at Harbor Freight will now go to use!

Reactions: madHatter

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Just remove the arm rest and beat the shit out of the hijacker

Or if time permits, go into the galley and fashion something out of metal trays inside the galley carts, or tear open a few aluminum soda cans and make yourself a couple of shanks. Strap a seat cushion to your weak arm for a shield against knives.

If they have more than a knife, you're fucked anyway.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Numbers would be the best chance. If every man on the flight would stand up and rush them there may be a chance. But if there are more than one hijacker a single persons chance of success drops significantly.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

kingsix

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
Flying never bothered me until I got out of the Marines.. takes an act of God to get me on a plane.

kingsix

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
Just remove the arm rest and beat the shit out of the hijacker

Or if time permits, go into the galley and fashion something out of metal trays inside the galley carts, or tear open a few aluminum soda cans and make yourself a couple of shanks. Strap a seat cushion to your weak arm for a shield against knives.

If they have more than a knife, you're fucked anyway.

Wow, you give up way to easy.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I always carry a lot of change & a spare set of socks, dump the change in a sock, tie a knot in it, pretty decent SD weapon. IMHO.

Reactions: kingsix

kingsix

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
Keep a coil of about 4 feet of fishing line in you wallet, also, keep an extra key loop on your keychain, BOOM instant garrote. It takes about 7-8 lbs of force to break skin, with a good heavy test you can cut right to the trachea with no issues.

kingsix

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
Another cheap idea and pretty easy to keep handy, and old credit card , you can put a nice 1-2 use edge on it. Imagine a paper cut, now imagine a paper cut across your face. It'll take the fight out of you pretty quick.