Flying With A Handgun? How Do You Do It And What's The Best Way

Howard Law

Rachie

Hunter
Feb 29, 2016
I'm going to be flying soon and want to take my handgun with me for protection at my destination. What is the best way to fly with a handgun? How do I check it in my bags and how do I need to carry it in the bag? Like locked, and separated from the ammo?

Thanks for any tips and advice and things that have worked for you in the past.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I didn't realize that all I really did was post a Web link and didn't actually answer anything lol, fwiw I pretty much followed the instructions that TSA provides and I haven't had any issues to date, just make sure your ammunition is separate and your firearm is unloaded, don't use a TSA approved lock as you should be the only person that has access to it, you may be asked to show proof when you declare it in your checked bags as well. Like I said I've not really had an issue transporting handguns or rifles in the past but just for shits and giggles keep the Web link handy on your phone in case you get an uneducated TSA officer

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
The TSA guidlines are pretty simple. Here are a few tips though.

1. DO NOT let them place your firearms declaration card on the OUTSIDE of the case. There is no regulation that says it has to be visible. Have them put it inside the case. Having it on the outside is a big STEAL ME sign.

2. There is a wide variety of experience with the people at the counter. The experienced ones make it smooth and easy when flying with a firearm. I've also had some that didn't even know it was legal, so know the regulations before you go. Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor if the person at the counter is an idiot.

3. Have a GOOD case. To meet their standards of unable to be opened with the locks on they will pry the case apart with a screwdriver. Don't rely on a cheaper Plano or Bulldog case. Get a good one. Something like Pelican, Hardigg, high end Plano, or the nice metal locking cases.

4. Ammunition has to be in a factory container (box) or closing container. I've used Dillon and Berry's closing 100rd trays before with no problem.

5. Use caution when opening the case to have them inspect it. Don't wave it around or be careless with it. Obvious I know but lots of people that fly don't know you can legally fly with guns and can/will freak out when they see it.

Good luck and safe travels!

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
Great info guys.

One more question. Can you put the gun case inside of a regular suitcase after they do their inspection of it? I'm asking as it may be a little easier on the case itself being cushioned with some clothes and also out of the eyes of the baggage crew.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Def a Pelican Case, they are Damn near indestructible! I've had my case inside my luggage before without issue but either way so long as its not identifiable to others you should be good, personally though unless I'm told otherwise it's in my flat side duffle, but be prepared for both scenarios just in case

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
[QUOTE="Mike Weidleman]Great info guys.
One more question. Can you put the gun case inside of a regular suitcase after they do their inspection of it? I'm asking as it may be a little easier on the case itself being cushioned with some clothes and also out of the eyes of the baggage crew.

[/QUOTE]
You should put the gun inside a regular suitcase (if it fits). For handguns I use one of the metal locking cases. They come with a steel cable you can use to connect to a car seat frame or something else. I run the cable through the rails inside the suitcase so the gun can't be removed without taking the whole suitcase. I also use only cases with combination locks rather than keys. The rule is you don't let ANYONE have access to your gun, and that includes TSA. You show them when you declare it and from that point on it doesn't get opened unless YOU open it. And having a combination lock assures only you can open it. If TSA wants in they need to ask you to open it. Don't give them the combination. I've heard stories of people using key locks who TSA agents asked for the key and they gave it to them. Sometimes people feel pressured into doing whatever the TSA tells you, but you don't want to give them the keys.

caleb4387

Hunter
Mar 19, 2016
I just flew with mine American and united. Just walk up to counter and say you need to declare a firearm. They have you sign s card saing its unloaded that goes in the suitcase on top of gun Case. They didn't sdk e to open mine nor did they try to open with a screwdriver. Not saying they won't just that they didn't with me. Use padlocks on the gun Case and TSA lock on the outside of the suitcase. Don't sweat the TSA locks as TSA has master keysand combinations anyway. Just don't bmake connections through any snti gim area's

caleb4387

Hunter
Mar 19, 2016
Anti gun. And if ya do. Do not take possession if the luggage with firearm in it have them ship it to you