Flinch???

Faktory 47

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
Does anyone have a method to stop flinching? I am ok when shooting the first shot but when I attempt to double tap my eyes close during the second.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
A good drill to do is to have a friend load your magazines and randomly insert dummy rounds in with your live rounds. This will help you identify the flinches and focus on stopping the flinch. Getting rid of a flinch is a lot harder than developing one so it takes work behind the trigger and concentration on squeezing the trigger all the way through the break maintaining follow through.

If you can't seem to shake the flinch, it's not a bad idea to drop back to a .22 pistol for a while where you are less likely to flinch to work on the fundamentals before stepping back up to larger calibers.

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
Thanks, but tried the .22 but I have no problem with those, I can not flinch all day long with those. I'll try the snap cap method. I know I do not have the problem with dry fire( I use the LaserLite laser trainer) seems like it is only live rounds....well keep training

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Ahhh the dreaded double tap. .....possibly anticipating the second shot and losing target acquisition, over 1,300 rds this month and a few matches, sometimes happens to me when I try and pull that quick follow up shot, caliber, distance, ? Breathing def plays a large part, best of luck to you, the best practice is lead down range

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
You legit close your eyes or your 2nd shot is just always off target?

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
Chris and Dirtbike, yes my eyes do close...dam.... Yes I need lots more range time, the problem is that the ranges I go to also have rules against "rapid shooting" so no true double tap. Need to find a new range here in the Akron area that allows it.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
That's a tough one. Practice and more practice. Slow deliberate 2 shot drills and progressively increase speed between shots would be my suggestion.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I agree with Chris. Focus on shooting fundamentals slowly and deliberately. Speed isn't something you need to work on (until you are at a high level) it is something that will come with proficiency.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
You ought to come out to the Tuesday Night Steels at ARO range in Deerfield (out near Alliance) $10.00 to shoot and $5.00 reshoot lots of different scenarios and good transitions here is one of the rounds from last week, imho is alot of fun but also great practice under pressure

Got a lot of work to do on weak arm but you get the point

Should be noted that this is a very safe range and the RO'S are to notch

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205426170648494&id=1676809413

This one involves quite a few reloads and transitions

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205421223004806&id=1676809413

This one simulates baseball,

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205421137602671&id=1676809413

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
The nice thing is you don't have to go fast at all, in fact this was my second round, the first round was slow and steady working on tequnique, the second was just having some fun

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Absolutely true. I've been shooting USPSA for 10 years. There is a HUGE benefit from shooting competition. Start out slow, talk to experienced shooters, and you won't believe the tips you'll pick up. Few things are better at simulated stress than competition. It simulates the chemical dump in the body much better than artificial exertion does. It isn't a place for tactics, as competition and training are very different, but for improving your shooting and gun handling skills it's fantastic.

Here is a video from my IKAM glasses at the OH Sectional a few years back.

[media]

https://www.youtube.com/embed/23K78N16cqc?feature=oembed[/media]

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
Not to hijack the op's thread.....so it's not just me that takes video lol, I tell ya there isn't anybody better at picking apart my own shooting than me lol, very nice Chris!

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
For the OP, know that I started out slow and steady like everyone else. It was practice, dry fire, talking to shooters better than myself, and more practice to get me to this point. You'll get past the flinch.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
Def don't get caught up in the "Game" lots of folks try going super fast and that flinch turns into trying to pull the gun down instead of letting the muzzle drop, work trigger control, grip, and breathing. Reality is that by the time your flinching the shot has made its way down range, nice slow follow up shot and maintain your grip, the rest will fall into place

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Like the vids guys. @Dirtbike, I'm going to steal that baseball stage to do at home. That looks like a fun game and easy to set up with one target on a home range.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Maybe we should start a video thread. We can feel good about ourselves, and then have everyone pick it apart. lol

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
T.L.Jones]Like the vids guys. [URL="https://www.southeasttraders.com/profile/263-dirtbike/ said:
@Dirtbike[/URL], I'm going to steal that baseball stage to do at home. That looks like a fun game and easy to set up with one target on a home range.
looked to be one of the easier stages that they had setup that day, I'm working on building some steel targets to keep at the Gun Club for when I'm out on the range just to get to moving around a bit more

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]Maybe we should start a video thread. We can feel good about ourselves, and then have everyone pick it apart. lol

[/QUOTE]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing, some of the videos I'm afraid of posting lol!

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
For the OP...

Get a firm grip, not a death squeeze, and press the trigger. Once the shot is fired, you should have followed through and your finger should be holding the trigger to the rear.

Now, notice where your sights are aimed...while your finger is still to the rear.

If they aren't back on target, you have other issues than flinching to work on.

Once your sights are on target, SLOWLY let your finger come forward ONLY until you hear/feel the trigger reset. On a double-action revolver, that might be all the way forward. On a semi-auto, it might be .25". Only go as far forward as you need to reset the trigger.

Now press the trigger and fire your second shot. You probably won't flinch because of how long it took to fire the second shot, but you did nothing different than if you were going faster, right.

Be honest with yourself about where your fundamentals are breaking down. Put yourself on video so you can see what you are doing. Watching yourself drop the muzzle 6 inches when you pull the trigger on a snap cap is telling, but you may not be sure WHAT it's telling you.