Flash Hider Installation

Faktory 47

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
How much does it normally cost to have a smith put a flash hider on properly? I have one threaded on but I would like it done correctly.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Whu- ?

You mean like welded in place?

All my muzzle devices are threaded.

<--- Completely missing your question.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I think he's talking about facing off the flash hider so it comes up with the flash holes to the top

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Whu- ?

You mean like welded in place?

All my muzzle devices are threaded.

<--- Completely missing your question.
get it lined up right, torqued properly and with a crush washer or whatever put in.

I think he's talking about facing off the flash hider so it comes up with the flash holes to the top

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

your right.

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
Use a crush washer .... crush the washer until it lines up where you want it ......especially for a standard flash hider. Nothing to it.

Reactions: freedom

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Use a crush washer .... crush the washer until it lines up where you want it ......especially for a standard flash hider. Nothing to it.

There isnt an issue of over tightening it? obviously not going to crank down as hard as possible, but snugging it up good and tight shouldnt hurt anything?

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
There isnt an issue of over tightening it? obviously not going to crank down as hard as possible, but snugging it up good and tight shouldnt hurt anything?
Fuck no you aren't going to hurt anything.

I suggest using either a reaction rod, a magpul action block or a barrel vise to do it. I wouldn't use just an upper clamshell type holder. You could twist the barrel in the upper by using just a clamshell.

Tighten it as tight as you can without too much force, back off and tighten it a little further, keep using that method till you get it where you want it.

Reactions: karlvv

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Fuck no you aren't going to hurt anything.

I suggest using either a reaction rod, a magpul action block or a barrel vise to do it. I wouldn't use just an upper clamshell type holder. You could twist the barrel in the upper by using just a clamshell.

Tighten it as tight as you can without too much force, back off and tighten it a little further, keep using that method till you get it where you want it.

Its a bolt gun, not an AR. Does that change anything?

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
OP, per the TM, it calls for 20ft lbs.

Additionally, it should be tightened at least 90 degrees, but no more than 470 degrees. Flat portion timed to the bottom if using an A2. Depending on what type of flash hider you are installing, this process will vary and you should refer to the manufacturers recommendations.

upload_2016-8-19_21-56-59.png

ETA: No need for a gunsmith. If you need help, bring it to my place. I will get it installed for you, but really, its not hard at all, even on a bolt gun.

These are super handy and worth buying a set for yourself:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s/vise-jaws/magnetic-soft-jaws-prod22513.aspx

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
OP, per the TM, it calls for 20ft lbs.

Additionally, it should be tightened at least 90 degrees, but no more than 470 degrees. Flat portion timed to the bottom if using an A2. Depending on what type of flash hider you are installing, this process will vary and you should refer to the manufacturers recommendations.

View attachment 18730

ETA: No need for a gunsmith. If you need help, bring it to my place. I will get it installed for you, but really, its not hard at all, even on a bolt gun.

These are super handy and worth buying a set for yourself:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s/vise-jaws/magnetic-soft-jaws-prod22513.aspx

I appreciate it. I'm going to see if I can get a crush washer tomorrow and give it a shot.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
It's just an A2 on a savage Axis .308. Nothing fancy

An A2 "bird cage" with a solid bottom?

If so, easy enough. Use a crush washer. Like the man said above, tighten, then loosen and tighten again, repeat u til you get it where you want.

If you're wanting something purely for flash suppression, the SEI Vortex works better and doesn't have to be "timed". Just screw it on and forget it. Due to the design it will actually tighten even more while you're shooting it.

If you think you may want to run a can on down the road, the Silrncerco ASR flash hider is great. I have them on several rifles/carbines/SBR's, including bolt guns.

If it's a muzzle device I plan on attaching a can to, like the Silencerco, then I Rockcrete it in place.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
An A2 "bird cage" with a solid bottom?

If so, easy enough. Use a crush washer. Like the man said above, tighten, then loosen and tighten again, repeat u til you get it where you want.

If you're wanting something purely for flash suppression, the SEI Vortex works better and doesn't have to be "timed". Just screw it on and forget it. Due to the design it will actually tighten even more while you're shooting it.

If you think you may want to run a can on down the road, the Silrncerco ASR flash hider is great. I have them on several rifles/carbines/SBR's, including bolt guns.

If it's a muzzle device I plan on attaching a can to, like the Silencerco, then I Rockcrete it in place.

It does have the solid bottom. I mostly just wanted something to protect the threads and the crown. When the times comes I can get a suppressor I'll change the muzzle device out because I don't know what can I will end up with.

The A2 was generously given to me and I don't see the need to spend much money to buy a nicer one for such a cheap rifle.

Reactions: cmshoot