Firearms longevity

American Revival Apparel Company

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
@NWS brought up an interesting point in the Glock Finger Grooves thread, pertaining to the longevity of plastic frames.

I've always really enjoyed the luxury and nostalgia of shooting old guns. By old, I mean maybe 100 years old and older. I've fired my share of 1876's SAA First Gens, Henry Yellow Boys, and a load of others.

Given today's high tech metallurgy and extensive use of synthetic polymers, how long will today's guns last? How far in the future could someone be safely shooting a G17?

Last edited:

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I don't think there would be a set time considering that there are still Gen 1's out there still running where as some gen 2,3,&4 have already cracked.

I think it's more about round count/type.

Reactions: Laufen

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
If it's a weapon that has seen anything close to regular and sustained use....30 years tops. If it has been kept in a safe under ideal conditions? Maybe a decade or two more. I've seen Gen1 Glocks that I wouldn't fire due to how brittle the plastic looked and felt.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If it's a weapon that has seen anything close to regular and sustained use....30 years tops. If it has been kept in a safe under ideal conditions? Maybe a decade or two more. I've seen Gen1 Glocks that I wouldn't fire due to how brittle the plastic looked and felt.
That's about the best reason I've heard to buy a 92fs, Sig or 1911.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Do you guys really think poly frames only have 30 years in them? I don't know. I've heard the brown frames were phased out due to their propensity to break down much more quickly than the black frames, but I don't know the timeframe.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I don't plan on keeping my Glock for 100 years. I have other stuff for that. I know it will last more than 30 though. Unless you leave it out in the sun every day

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Everything I've read suggests that polymers used in guns mainly photo-degrade. In other words, keep them out of the sun, and they'll last a hell of a long time.

DTW762

Hunter
Jul 28, 2015
Carrollton GA
There are still plenty of VP70's out there running right? I'd think those would be telling of the longevity of a poly gun. Besides, as mentioned already, the composition of the polymer has a lot to do with longevity, being some gen 1 glocks are still running strong, and some are frail. Depends on the temperatures used during molding, humidity, curing time and process, etc... Not all poly is created equal. And I have no clue who has the best, they all feel about the same to me.

And that's all waaaaayyy before you take wear and heavy use into account. It's all relative yo

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
There are still plenty of VP70's out there running right? I'd think those would be telling of the longevity of a poly gun. Besides, as mentioned already, the composition of the polymer has a lot to do with longevity, being some gen 1 glocks are still running strong, and some are frail. Depends on the temperatures used during molding, humidity, curing time and process, etc... Not all poly is created equal. And I have no clue who has the best, they all feel about the same to me.

And that's all waaaaayyy before you take wear and heavy use into account. It's all relative yo
Yeah, wear and tear aside, how many years would a Glock or HK last that had 100 rounds/year put through it? I'm more interested in the life of the materials when faced with age vs wear and tear.

Reactions: DTW762

Speednut

Hunter
Jul 16, 2015
Conyers,Ga.
Very interesting thread. I have a older Glock G17 1987 the slide wont lock after the last round I took it to Glock they tryed to fix it but didn't. Also they said the Gen 1 frames could crack and said if I wanted to keep shooting it I needed to have the frame cut . A small v that would keep the frame from flexing so I did, I dont shoot it much but still like to on occasion.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
20 to 30 years is what I am thinking. Glocks are not heirloom guns, they are cheap disposable guns that are very reliable. I don't expect my grandchildren to be shooting my 19.

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Everything I've read suggests that polymers used in guns mainly photo-degrade. In other words, keep them out of the sun, and they'll last a hell of a long time.
True. The poly piping we use for natural gas distribution is purposely stored indoors in order to limit exposure to sunlight before it is installed underground. Prolonged exposure to UV light can shorten the lifespan significantly.

Maharaja

Hunter
Jul 6, 2015
Supposedly it takes Monofilament fishing line 600 years to biodegrade.

However I do not shoot with fihsing line so I dont know. Interesting question.

I love my 19, but my always keep are 1911, Milsurp stuff.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I don't think there would be a set time considering that there are still Gen 1's out there still running where as some gen 2,3,&4 have already cracked.

I think it's more about round count/type.

My GEN 2 had the recall on the frame, when I took for general rebuild , they grooved it to stop it from cracking. So far,so good