Finally got me a glass of that Kool-Aid.

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Depending on the color fill material (and assuming it's on the slide metal only) I might go after it with some lacquer thinner. I know the current EPA regards lacquer thinner as terrible stuff, but it seems to remove everything other than cured two part epoxy.

Mineral spirits might do fine too.

Or if it's Crayola color fill, just use a tooth pick.
I buy lacquer thinner in 55 gal. drums. I think I may have some laying around. Just wasn't sure what the finish on the slide is and if that harsh of a solvent would hurt it.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I guess it wouldn't hurt to give a run through the parts washer. I keep mineral spirits in it.
If you end up using acetone or brake parts cleaner, make sure to clean & lube immediately after and avoid contact with sights

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
The first AR I ever built may or may not need some color fill removed from it as well.

Should I have posted that in the confessional thread?

Reactions: dougiemac

Greg41

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Dec 11, 2016
Stockbridge
Zip code
Sorry about color fill ,would have removed...was on there when I got..and didn't really care either way! Most of the X. I use #9 and let sit a min. An comes right out !

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Sorry about color fill ,would have removed...was on there when I got..and didn't really care either way! Most of the X. I use #9 and let sit a min. An comes right out !
No apology necessary. It's minimal and not obnoxious at all. It's not like I didn't know about it ahead of time.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Dang man, I had my 19 on me and my can in my bag yesterday. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me. We coulda shot in your office. :thumb:
Nothing like a suppressed desk pop!

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
My phone autocorrects to HK.
My edc for a while now has been my P30. It's the best double stack compact I own. I must admit already that the 19 is much more comfortable IWB than any other double stack I've ever carried and that includes the P30.

Probably won't get to the range until this weekend.

Reactions: Laufen

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
My edc for a while now has been my P30. It's the best double stack compact I own. I must admit already that the 19 is much more comfortable IWB than any other double stack I've ever carried and that includes the P30.

Probably won't get to the range until this weekend.

You know, I have a range in my backyard......

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Lacquer thinner is primarily acetone. I wiped it down this morning and it came right of. I don't know what the coating is on this slide, but it's different than anything else I have, so I just wanted to double check first.

Whatever the slide is coated with is tough as hell. The "tenifer" finish people refer to (at least so I'm told- someone correct me if I'm wrong) is a metal treatment process and not the black finish that you see. Whatever they do, I've given a G26 hell and it's still fine.

My sweat is corrosive as hell also- I left rusty finger prints on a stainless GP100. I've never had even the smallest amount of rust on the G26... even after cutting grass with it on in teh summer. And I push mow. And I'm fat, so I sweat like hell.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Whatever the slide is coated with is tough as hell. The "tenifer" finish people refer to (at least so I'm told- someone correct me if I'm wrong) is a metal treatment process and not the black finish that you see. Whatever they do, I've given a G26 hell and it's still fine.

My sweat is corrosive as hell also- I left rusty finger prints on a stainless GP100. I've never had even the smallest amount of rust on the G26... even after cutting grass with it on in teh summer. And I push mow. And I'm fat, so I sweat like hell.
You're spot on about tenifer. It penetrates about 3-5 microns deep into the metal. The black finish is not tenifer, and the gun will be protected from corrosion even if the finish has worn off. S&W's marketing team gets in wrong on their website.

Reactions: dial1911