GA Firing Line

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Why would anyone use Frog Lube... I have a big problem w/ a lube that needs to be heated up just to be applied... In case you did not know FL was tested by the Army and was dead last... CLP works much better for a all around lube... Every once in awhile the Army gets things right, and FL was not the answer to lube rifles...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Why would anyone use Frog Lube... I have a big problem w/ a lube that needs to be heated up just to be applied... In case you did not know FL was tested by the Army and was dead last... CLP works much better for a all around lube... Every once in awhile the Army gets things right, and FL was not the answer to lube rifles...
I don't like CLP either. Anything that's supposed to be able to provide lubrication while simultaneously cutting and cleaning out lubrication is a compromise. You just need to spray some shit into the action and keep on going..I get that. On the battlefield you need to compromise, and you aren't going to be bottles of a real lube and a true solvent. For most shooters though, it's not that hard to have a bottle that's appropriate for each task on hand.

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Used to use the Slip 2000 group of cleaners/solvents/lubes .... I was hooked on EWL for a while until I tried using regular full synthetic motor oil and received the same results. Just got to a point where I didn't see the need to justify the cost.

Don't get me wrong, great products, but I seem to get by just fine with some CLP and motor oil; if I want to spray the oil, I just use Hoppe's as it sprays much better than motor oil from a sprayer bottle.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Forgot to mention MPro7! Really a great all around solvent & cleaner. Bio friendly, so no worries about getting it on my skin or inhaling fumes. Plus it works great for everything except copper fouling. For that, I use KG 12.
I've used the general mpro cleaner but not the bore solvent. the cleaner seems to make short work of oils and carbon, but damn - it ain't cheap!

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I've used the general mpro cleaner but not the bore solvent. the cleaner seems to make short work of oils and carbon, but damn - it ain't cheap!
It's the same exact thing as the Hoppes Elite, available in an orange bottle at Walmart. I usually buy it on sale from Midway and got a dozen bottles on sale for 50% off from a a deal thread on here last year.

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
See post 16.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I've been a big fan of Breakthrough solvents, oils and lubes for the last year or so. No smell means I can clean my guns indoors without the wife bitchibg about the smell.

https://www.breakthroughclean.com

View attachment 3389

I dont see how they can call there stuff Mil-Spec. since its not authorized in the Army TM 9-1005-319-10... It might be great stuff, but your not authorized to use it in a Issue 5.56 rifle.

Is it just me?? Or dose it look like a big bottle of Astroglide?

Like I said, it might awesome stuff, but I've never used it. Astroglide on the other hand....:thumbsup:

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I dont see how they can call there stuff Mil-Spec. since its not authorized in the Army TM 9-1005-319-10... It might be great stuff, but your not authorized to use it in a Issue 5.56 rifle.

Is it just me?? Or dose it look like a big bottle of Astroglide?

Like I said, it might awesome stuff, but I've never used it. Astroglide on the other hand....:thumbsup:

They're not calling it mil-spec, they labeled it military grade.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Hoppes No. 9 for cleaning the general population. Rifles get a good cleaning with Hoppe's benchrest every so often- it's a copper solvent where the regular old No. 9 isn't. Regardless of how well it does/does not clean, I use Hoppe's for the smell :)

I have CLP, frog lube, and some other stuff around for the moving parts. I'm not really loyal to any one of those.