Family of Nines

GA Firing Line

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Since I've recently declared mayself a nines guy, I thought I'd share my family of them.

The patriarch is my S&W model 669. It seems I don't know where to find detail on this early 1980's offerring. All I know is I picked it up about 1983. I've ridden it hard and put it proverbally away wet. All it's ever done for me is go bang every time and make very tight groupings every time I take it out. That includes years between outings. It's currently my son's favorite range item.
FamilyofNines.jpg

I think I bought it for about $369 back then. and it was created to be a short frame police detective carry piece while standard police issue was the S&W model 559. I only know this because my LEO friend carried the 559 and recommended the 669 at that time. He didn't steer me wrong.

It may be the fattest 9 I've played with... short frame and a 12 round magazine. The Pachmyer grips with tight knurling really bites into your hand, but they give exceptional purchase. Pick it up, line up the sights and confidence just oozes. You will hit point of aim. It is one gun that makes the shooter better. Probably my favorite.

Most of us know enough about the Rugers to write a book about them. They are not mince meat by any stretch. The 669 is just an exceptional gun.

I believe Sassi has its big brother, the 559... So cool as well.

Regardless, the family can always stand to expand by one or more without complaint. Thyat may be sooner rather than later. Maybe Kahr... Maybe another S&W. Probably another sub- or compact since that's another attribute I like my guns to possess.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
There's not too much about the controls to cause concern. Here's some notable features though:

The trigger is about as good as any I've encountered.
The sights are awesome. even for old eyes.
The gun itself is seriously accurate out to all distances I've ever tried. Guessing 35 to 50 yards.
I don't know when mag safeties were first put into use, but this gun has one... and it's about thirty years of age.
The ambi safety itself is engaged in the down position. Gotta flip it up to disengage.
It's got a slide lock

The takedown pin is very secure. Disassembly and reassembly can be a little stiff, but no biggie. Just need to pull the slide back a bit to take they tension off and use the end of a toothbrush or some such to press the pin through. It will never happen without a tool.

M

mukwah

Never seen so many good looking nines in one place at one time!!!!!

M

mukwah

What the heck, I'll add a couple to!
ahu3y4ug.jpg

Baretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact and LC9

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
9-4-12BerettawRugerLCP2.jpg

Those Beretta Storms are really nice. The Widow and I were out shopping this weekend and she acquired one. I showed her a few other 9's but she loved the size and grip. So it followed us home. I showed her how to field strip and clean it. She carries it as a glove box gun for now and it sits on the night stand. She's outta town until the 15th but when she gets back she wants to get a range trip or two in with it before taking a CWP Class.

9-4-12BerettawRugerLCP6.jpg

When I spend the weekends at the Lake House, I keep a BUG or two on the other nightstand. just in case.