F.B. Radom VIS Model 35 9mm

Howard Law

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
1.jpg~original

This is a picture of a F.B. RADOM VIS Mod.35.Pat.Nr.15567 per the slide marking the left side. It’s design was “influenced” by John Browning’s 1911 and Hi Power designs. There’s also a touch of the Spanish Ruby.

It takes It’s a 9mm Parabellum or Luger round. It came with a single magazine, with a capacity of 8 +1 rounds.
It has a dark rust blued finish, but the surface is rough low polished and there are some production marks, a plus a little pitting and minor wear. The 4.53” barrel is shiny, there’s no rust and she’s tight. The grips are wooden with grooves. 85-90% would be appropriate.

In 1935 Fabryka Broni, the Polish National Armory at Radom started manufacturing these for use by their cavalry. Later that year Germany and Russia invade and split Poland down the middle. The Radom plant was in the German sector. Supervisors from the Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory in Austria were sent to supervise further production in 1940.

VIS in the stamped ID is Latin for Power. There pistols are often identified as being the VIS-35 Polish Radom Pistol, the Polish Radom P-35 or if you’re selling them at an online gun auction you call them Late World War II Nazi Marked Occupation Radom 35 9mm Pistols.

2.jpg~original

Here’s a photo of the left side. The serial number, along with the absence of a slot to attach a stock and a takedown catch located where the thumb safety would be on a 1911 indicate that it was manufactured in 1943. So she’s what some folks would call a “2 lever” gun.

Things were going downhill fast for the Germans in 1943; they’d failed in their invasion of Russia. There had been an uprising in the Warsaw Ghetto. So production at Radom has been increased and standards lowered. By August 1944 production had moved to Austria. When the Russian Army took Radom they burned the plant, in 1945.

1NaziMarkings.jpg~original

The slide marking identifying the make and manufacturer is accompanied by a Nazi Eagle over a Swastika and a Eagle over 623 Stamp, with no WaA. These stamps were also found on the barrel, which was also marked with the last three numbers of the serial number. They’re called Waffenamt acceptance marks, indicating that they had been inspected (proofed) and fired by Inspector 626. 626 could have been either a team or an individual, who was usually at the Steyr Factory. 626’s stamp under an eagle is also on the magazine. Some folks contend that later the barrels were only being made at the plant in Austria and that when they received the lowers from Poland they were accepted and proofed there. Since this one was made in 1943, 71 years ago, history has faded away.

The German Radom Model 35’s were issued to SS, Paratroopers and Police (The Secret Gestapo Kind) who participated in some rather nasty atrocities during the war. Some were specially produced and marked as Mariner Models; they were issued to “U” Boat types. They are rare, since most wound up on the bottom of the Atlantic.

I acquire this one through a private sale and have no available history as to how it wound up in America. Based upon its condition and the markings it was reasonable at $460.00. Some of these especially the original Polish ones and specific later models bring a pretty price.

http://www.jmtpublishing.com/articles/2011/Vis35article.asp

Here’s an interesting link to some more history on the VIS-35 Polish Radom Pistol.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Re: F.B. Radom VIS Model 35 9mm

That is a real nice piece. Thanks for sharing the photos and the information with us.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
That's one of those guns you just want to handle and study. Very nice!

2-25-14Disassembly10.jpg~original

You betcha. Friday the 21st I spoke with the guy who had it he gave me some information and I got to handle it. I came home and started researching. I'd heard of Polish Radoms and see a couple in the past at gun shows but they were mostly the one that were produced around 1940 with the original black grips with the VIS on the right panel and the FB on the left panel. The prices were way too high. So I passed.

The one I got was supposed to be going out with a $600. price tag on it. The owner had traded it in on a new pistol for his wife. The fellow I bought it from came by the house on Monday and I gave him the money and he bought it, with an employee discount for supposedly $460.00. Which in my humble opinion is a good deal. I went by the shop later and picked it up.

I've had a copy of the Gun Digests Book of Automatic Pistols by J. B. Wood sitting in the den for years and it outlines the disassembly and reassembly. I've also ordered a book by Terence Lapin concerning this particular weapon which is supposed to be full of loads of information.

The earlier models had three levers, one which was a take down lever. In the two lever models the Decocker lever is used also as a disassembly tool to lock the slide back on a notch in the hammer. You rack the slide back and use the lever to hold the slide back. Then pull and hold the guide rod (under the barrel) forward, the slide latch is then pulled out from the left side.

When reassembling the slide, with the barrel and internal parts inserted, the slide goes back on and gets locked into place at the rear by using the lever. The guide rod has to be pulled forward and held, I used a cord to pull it forward and then reinserted the slide latch. It was loads of "fun"...

So I'm really going to put a few down range with her when I get to feeling better. Yesterday and today I've been dealing with some icky type flu. The earlier versions of this pistol were rated as superior and renowned for their quality and handling. This one's what some folks call a Mid War version which even though it was roughly made still maintained some of those characteristics. Later models were notoriously poorly manufactured and some folks warn that the slave laborers being used to make them weren't below a little sabotage. Another part of the dark heritage that surrounded this weapon.

I've founds loads of information on line regarding the Radoms and their history. When it comes to the on line auctions the prices are area encouraging but I'm not selling anytime soon.

Thanks for the comments.