Extended thumb safety

American Revival Apparel Company
R

rayzer007

I was thinking of getting one of these for my Combat Commander. Wilson makes a "Tactical" size, not too wide. Any reasoning against doing this. If my buddy can't install it, I'd probably have a gunsmith do it. Thanks.

Ray

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Ray, it's all about what you want when it comes to the extended thumb safety. My Commander has one, but some guys in my 1911 Forum say it's not needed. On changing it out, it's a very simple job, you could do it. I'm giving you a youtube link to Doctruptwn, who is very good at showing you the "How To's" of the 1911. Just past the 2 minute mark you will see how easy it is to remove the thumb safety, and you may or may not need to remove the mainspring housing. Good luck. Yogi 8)

1911: Thumb Safety Fitting and Adjustment

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Great idea. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you could only use the "Off Hand" it would be nice.

D

Denny4kids

SkipD said:
If I were going to build up another 1911 and, especially if I intended to carry it, I'd install an ambidextrous safety.

I would like to share my thoughts about an ambidextrous safety. Unless you are a southpaw this is an unsafe piece of kit. If you carry this weapon condition one its very easy to bump the safety to the fire position. I carried a Kimber on a camping trip and every time I checked the safety was off. I finally put the hammer down so I didn't have to worry about it. What is it good for anyway? Some may think if you get shot in your good arm you could shoot weak hand and use the ambi safety but that may just be in the movies. My opinion. Denny

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Denny4kids said:
I would like to share my thoughts about an ambidextrous safety. Unless you are a southpaw this is an unsafe piece of kit. If you carry this weapon condition one its very easy to bump the safety to the fire position. I carried a Kimber on a camping trip and every time I checked the safety was off. I finally put the hammer down so I didn't have to worry about it. What is it good for anyway? Some may think if you get shot in your good arm you could shoot weak hand and use the ambi safety but that may just be in the movies. My opinion. Denny
I'm guessing that the choice of holster would make a difference? I've never carried my 1911 (a tweaked Gold Cup).

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
GalcoAvengerHolsterKimber19114in.jpg

I've carried my Kimber Super Carry Pro in a Galco Avenger and never found the safety wandering. But I'd say the modification could bear some watching. For carry in the woods or real wilderness I prefer a revolver in a shoulder holster.

When it comes to BUGS, I prefer the non-safety kind. You don't want to be spending a whole lot of time getting a safety off.